A second chance

Natasha POV
~~~

When my eyes slowly blink open I register the heavy weight wrapped around my waist and the warmth that stretches across every inch of my body.  I slowly slip out of Steve's grip and realise we fell asleep by the fire on the warm rug.

When I look out the window the sun is just beginning to rise so I decide to wonder outside and watch the sunset. Before I head outside I go into the bedroom to find something I can change into.

I head to the first set of draws on the left side of the queen sized bed and they have all Steve's underwear and trousers so I slip into a pair of his dark black boxers and venture round to the right side of the bed and find his shield t-shirt that I quickly pull over my head.

The smell of Steve's Burberry cologne and drawing inks instantly hits my nose and I hug the t-shirt close to my body before turning to exit.

As I step forward my foot comes into contact with something sticking out under the bed.

'Ow f*ck' I curse quietly.

I bend down and my hand traces the shape of the object. It's an old wooden box and the lock is still open. I pull it out silently and carefully set it on the bed.

When I lift the lid I instantly know who's possessions these are. Steve's. The first thing I see is the shirt he was wearing when we met and that I wore the first time we made love.

Tears brim my eyes as I place it to the side and continue looking through the box. Next my hand comes into contact with an old leather book. When I begin to flick through the pages I notice several drawings of an old town and as I make it further along I see the trenches and Steve's uniform and even Peggy.

I regret my snooping momentarily before spotting an image of me the day I met Steve. I keep looking and notice the majority of pictures from there are of me but there are also many of the gang and I feel my chest tighten at the one my hand stops on.

My coffin, half open and Steve's limp body clinging onto my lifeless form. My heart shatters and I drop the book to the floor. Cursing loudly.

I hear a rousing from the other room and peak in to see Steve snuggling a pillow. Peaceful.

I go to put the book and shirt back when I find a set of - Steve's - dog tags. They match a set of mine and I absentmindedly slip them over my head and tuck them into my top so they rest over the skin protecting my heart.

I head out to the wooden balcony and lean over the edge. I can see where the sea meets the sand and I notice that it represents many things to many different people. The sand represents all my bad history and deadly thoughts, each fragment built up to create this deadly assassin and the sea represents Steve's good heart and pure soul so that if you were to look hard enough you would see straight through to his soul and know all his feelings. The combining of the too creates the ocean and that represents the beauty of combining all the good and bad to make a whole of something new and strong. Our love.

I smile at the thought and finally embrace the idea of a second chance and this instantly relaxes my ever constricted heart.

I look over the sea and do something I haven't done since my parents died. I sing there song. (I chose this song because I love it. I don't care if it's inaccurate):)

Deep in the meadow, under the willow
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow
Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes
And when again they open, the sun will rise.

Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
And when again it's morning, they'll wash away.

Here it's safe and here it's warm
And here the daisies guard you from every harm
And here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.

I close my eyes and picture all the good things I have experienced in my life and feel a pair of strong arms embrace me from behind.

'That was beautiful my little spider'

I smile. 'It was all thanks to you Steve. You have finally unlocked my heart, broke down the walls, set it free and given me a fresh start'

'More than happy to help. I'm just glad your back because my second chance left when you died and I am more than happy to finally have it back'

'Good. Now how about we start this second chance in the right way' I smirk.

'And how do you suggest we do that' he says with a wiggle of his eyebrows.

'PANCAKES!!' I cheer.
~~~

Hope you enjoyed☺️

My writings been a bit erratic lol but I'm just settling back into it.

💜💜💜