Invitations

Chapter 17 - Invitations

It's been months and Edward hasn't spoken to me since the accident, I don't think he even looks my way unless he absolutely has to. You know what? It's his loss, I wasn't going to dwell on his moody ass.

He was already seated at our lab table when I got to biology, looking straight ahead I sat down, expecting him to turn toward me. How foolish of me, men never showed any real respect to women. Edward showed no sign that he realized I was there.

"Hello Edward." I said politely, well as politely as I could after being ignored, showing him I was going to act pleasantly. The best way to win was to kill them with kindness.

He turned his head a fraction to nod at me, not looking me in they eye. Rolling my eyes I sat down.That was the first thing he's done toward me since the accident.

I know the Cullen family has been keeping an eye on me, I have at least one Cullen in each of my classes. They stare at me during lunch and any other chance they get they stare. They know that I am not human, but they can't do anything because there are too many human witnesses.

Dr. Cullen even recognized me, he remembered me. I'm sure that the kids (yeah, kids, they're probably over a hundred) told him all about my little lapse in self control in the parking lot. And I wonder if they remember all the things I compelled them to forget.

I've noticed that Mike seemed happier seeing that Cullens and I weren't talking. All the other males in school seemed like that too. I guess they thought because he 'saved' me I would be grateful, but we were ignoring each other.

Later that week Jessica called the first Tuesday of March to ask my permission to invite Mike to the girl's choice spring dance in two weeks.

"Are you sure you don't mind? You weren't going to ask him were you?" Jessica kept asking me.

"No Jess, I'm not going." I was going hunting, out of town and far away from the Cullens, so they wouldn't catch me.

"It will be really fun." She tried to convince me to go. I know she like my popularity.

"You have fun with Mike."

The next day I was surprised that Jessica wasn't her gushy gossiping self. She was silent as she walked with me to class. Did Mike turn her down? Well if he did, she would tell me first, wouldn't she? My fears were strengthened during lunch when Jessica sat as far away from Mike as possible, chatting with Eric. And Mike was unusually quiet.

He was quiet walking to Biology after lunch. The uncomfortable look was still on his face when we walked into the classroom. But he didn't say anything until I was sitting down, and he was perched on the desk.

"So," Mike said looking at the floor. "Jessica asked me to the spring dance."

"That's great. You'll have a great time with her."

"Well…" Mike examined my smile, not happy with my reaction. "I told her I would have to think about it."

"Why the hell would you do that?" I asked. He looked down at the floor blushing bright red. I looked him straight in the eye and said, "Tell me the truth."

"Well, I was hoping that you would ask me to the dance." I saw Edward's head tilt reflexively in my direction.

"Mike, I went out with you once. I really don't think that we have chemistry. I'm sorry." Mike was silent. "You should tell her yes."

"Fine." The human boy sighed and got up, going to his desk. Class was starting.

~*~

When the bell rang I turned to pack my things in my bag, allowing Edward an easy exit.

"Bella?" He asked.

I turned slowly, looking him in the eye. "So, now you're talking to me?"

His lips twitched, fighting off a smile. "No, not really."

"Yes, well your speaking to me right now."

"You're right, but that's not the point."

"Then what is the point?"

His expression went from amused to expressionless instantly. "It would be best if we weren't friends." His face was all serious. "Trust me."

"I don't think we were ever friends to begin with Mind Reader." I loved taunting them like that, and they couldn't hurt me here, in school. With that said I just walked off to gym.

~*~

Walking out of school, Eric,  the guy with greasy black hair, walked up to me. "Hey Bella!"

"Eric."

"Um…I was wondering if you would go the spring dance with me?"

"Isn't it a girls choice?" I asked him, mentally rolling my eyes.

"Um…yes."

"Then no, I have better things to do than go to the spring dance." I walked faster and was able to get away from him.

I was looking behind me, not paying attention to what was in front of me when I ran into something hard. Looking down I saw Alice Cullen. "What do you want Vision Girl?" Haha I did it again!

She was frozen for a second before brushing off her clothes and straightening it. "I just wanted to see if you wanted to go shopping sometime? Maybe we could be friends."

"No." I felt mean for a second when her face fell but I just brushed it off. She wasn't a sweet little girl, she was a vampire too.

"Why not?"

"Because I don't need to spend all my time with you sparkly people." I was smiling now. "Yeah that's right I said that. Bet you didn't see that one coming bloodsucker."

"Bella!" I heard Tyler Crowley yell. I turned to him. "I was wondering if you would go to the spring dance with me?"

"No."

"It's cool we still have prom." Tyler walked away with a smile on his face while I was left at a blank.

What was wrong with these people, don't they understand the meaning of no?