A lion's pride and the Black Volcano

Chapter 5: A lion’s pride and the Black Volcano

 Simba stopped right in front of Roxanne who, in awe from the lion’s presence, lowered her head.

“There’s no reason for kneeling.” the lion spoke with deep, gentle voice.

“It just came to me; besides the Pride Rock looks even more magnificent from close.”

“Come, you should rest and after that we can talk.” Simba said and the rest of the lions guided Roxanne into the insides of the Pride Rock.

The inside looked more like a cave, with an opening on the ceiling, from where the night sky could be easily seen. One part of the cave’s floor was taller and that’s where Simba took his position, indicating his power as the pack’s leader.

Roxanne and Timon sat close to Simba and she opened her bag, taking out some of her food; roasted meat, fruits and even a bottle of rum were inside. The lions looked with pleasure the meat and Roxanne gave it to them, keeping the fruits for herself.

“You don’t have any bugs by any chance inside there, right?” Timon asked but before the girl could answer he had already searched inside the bag but with no result.

“I don’t eat bugs Timon.” Roxanne stated with a tone of disgust.

“Then you don’t know the meaning of 'hakuna matata'.”

“I do know about that!” she protested and smiled at him, patting his head.

Simba came down from his position and sat near them, while his mane moved slightly as he did so. Roxanne couldn’t help but wonder how a lion could be so beautiful, yet so proud. She streched her hand and slowly she touched his soft mane. Simba at first was startled upon her move, but he quickly calm and started to growl deeply as Roxanne was caressing his red mane.

“Simba…Mickey told me that you have been in the Castle of the Shadows…” she begun.

His eyes became darker for a moment and he turned his head to her.

“That’s true; I went there in order to find some clues about how to free the others. But the Shadows spotted me and tried to capture me but I managed to escape. Dragen sent out his troops and the result was…”

“Pumbaa and Nala…” Roxanne completed his phrase, while the lion lowered his head in defeat.

“Did you see the Castle Simba?”

“It’s a strange and dark like the starless sky building, with towers on its left and right, with flying Shadows all around but what worried me was the volcano.”

“The volcano?” Roxanne looked at him with question.

“The Black Volcano is the center of this world but it is occupied from Dragen’s Shadows. They are doing something in there, but I never learned what.”

Simba looked at Roxanne; she was thinking about his description. Quickly she took out her sketch book and asked him if he could describe her again the Castle and the Volcano. After almost an hour Roxanne was holding in her hands the drawing of the Castle; it was located in the bottom of the Volcano with two towers on the right and the left, covered by a wall in the front.

“Is that it Simba?”

“Yes, it looks just like I saw it! You are really good Roxanne!” the lion commented surprised.

“Then it’s settled.” And she got up.

“What do you mean?”

“If i have the drawing of the Castle, i can have a general idea of what to expect. And i must hurry; but befire that, Simba, will you take me to see Rafiki? There is something I need to ask him.”