34

I wake up on the couch. I don't really remember where I am. I look around and recognize the messy place. I feel something tighten around me. It's a pair of arms! I turn around slowly to see the sleeping figure. I'm relieved to see that it's Dan.

I smile as I observe his features. Light, ginger stubble is forming across his flawless jawline. His skin is perfect.

Dan pushes me against his body. I don't want him to let me go, ever. I want to stay like this because it's the most amazing feeling.

"Sarah," Dan stirs.

"Yes?" I say quietly.

He opens his eyes to show those beautiful blue orbs I've come to love.

"Can we talk for a minute?" he asks nervously.

"Yeah," I say. "What about?"

He takes a deep breath. I can feel how nervous he is.

"I didn't want to tell you this right now because you had just gotten out of a relationship, but the last time I waited you had been taken from me," Dan says.

"Just spit it out," I say, anxious to hear what he has to say.

"Well, the first time I saw you I was intrigued. I knew you had a rebellious quality to you when you told me that your father is the preacher. I wanted to figure you out, but it was hard. I'm still trying to figure you out. I know what you like and what you don't like. I know how you do things, but I can't always figure out what is going on in that pretty head of yours. Over the course of that year, I had started to fall for you. Honestly, I fell in love with you when I first met you, but I didn't realize it until later. I was going to tell you that I loved you after graduation. I was going to take you to Subway to celebrate, because I know you love Subway. But then I saw you with Dylan. It hurt so much. My heart literally shattered. I'm surprised that nobody heard it. My stomach twisted and knotted as I watched you kiss him. I couldn't bear it any longer and I felt as if I could throw up. I didn't want to leave because I wanted to be there for you. I wanted to tell you how proud I was of you. You are so strong. You stuck out a shitty senior year. I know you were lonely at school, but you overcame it and I'm so happy that you did. I told you to leave when you and the guys were at my flat that day because I couldn't see you with him. I couldn't see him touch you. It felt so wrong. I didn't want you to see me so upset because I couldn't have you to call mine. I broke down. I didn't say goodbye to you when you were leaving because I knew he would be there and I didn't want to do something that would make you hate me. I wanted to see you, I really did. I wanted to hug you and tell you I'm going to miss you. I did miss you, Sarah. I missed you so much. You have no idea how many nights I lied awake on my bed. I was crushed because I knew you were with him and I couldn't be there. When I saw you in the crowd Saturday, my heart stopped. I searched for you when I got back on stage, but I couldn't find you. I was thinking that I've gone crazy and that I imagined you. I was anxious to get outside because I wanted to see if I really was crazy. I was about to lose hope and give up when Woody came and got me. He told me you were here. I could have cried I was so happy. When I walked up to you and saw you, I couldn't believe how much more beautiful you've become. I waited patiently for my turn to have you in my arms again. When you jumped into my arms, I was the happiest man alive. You had let go far too soon. My stomach twisted again when you introduce Dylan to us again. I wasn't going to let it stop me from seeing you though because I wasn't sure if I would get the chance again. Right now, I just want to kiss you because you look so beautiful. I don't want to get up because that means having to let you go. I don't want to let you go because I'm terrified I'm going to lose you to another bloke. Sarah, I love you with all my heart and my being. I wish I had told you sooner because I'm tired of worrying if I'll ever see you again or if I'm ever going to get this chance. It is all worth it though. All the pain and the emptiness I've had in my chest is worth it because right now I have you in my arms and I don't plan on letting go. I want you, Sarah. I want you so bad. I want to do this with you. Through everything I will love you. Nothing is going to change the way I think about you because you are all I think about. I love you, Sarah Rayburn and if you don't love me the same way then I'm okay with it as long as I can still be there for you. As long as I can still have you in my arms as you are now."

I stare at him. Tears are blurring my vision. I never knew he felt that way for me. I had always hoped he would, but I never thought it would come true. Every word he said is still ringing in my ears. My heart aches. I feel so bad because I've cause him so much pain. He didn't deserve to feel broken and empty for three years.

"Say something, please," he says quietly, his eyes glistening with tears forming. I'm hurting him right now by not saying anything.

"Why do I have to say anything?" I say.

He closes his eyes and a tear drips down his cheek. I wipe it away and leave my hand on his cheek. I look at his lips. I've always wanted to kiss them. I've wanted to feel how they felt against mine. I'm taking the chance now to find out.

I slowly lean it until I just barely graze his lips. He doesn't move. I hover there for a second. I want him. I want his touch, his lips, his love. I connect our lips. He kisses me back instantly.

"I love you, Daniel Smith," I say against his lips.

"I love you, Sarah Rayburn," he says, pressing his soft, warm lips against mine once more.

He pulls away suddenly, looking into my eyes. "Will you be my girlfriend?" he asks quietly.

"Yes, Dan. I will be your girlfriend."