Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

"Alright. I respect that," he replied with a sigh while separating himself from me.

"Sorry," I apologized. He smiled and assured me that it was ok, but his smile didn't reach his eyes.

What else could I say? I could barely look at him because I felt bad. With a sigh, I sat down on the grass and just looked at my plate. I'd lost my appetite. From the corner of my eyes I could see Trey approaching us. I knew it was him by the way that he walked. He had a slight bounce to his walk and he almost always swung his right arm.

I looked up and met his eyes. He had a huge grin on his face as he plopped down on the grass across from us.

"Damn, who stomped on y'all hearts and lost all the pieces, yo?" He began after taking one look at Chris and I.

I sent him a brief smile before replying, "You look happy."

"Hell yeah, it's Jamaican patty day. I see you ain't complaining either 'cause you copped you two pieces. Every time I see you you're eating something," he commented with a smirk as he bit into his patty.

"No way!" I denied. I turned to Chris and asked his opinion. "Chris tell him it isn't true."

I couldn't see his face, but I could tell he was laughing because he was doing a crappy job at stifling it and his body shook lightly. I slapped his shoulder and crossed my arms over my chest in a childish way.

"Naw, but on the real, what's wrong with y'all? Y'all used to think y'all was Greek gods and shit, leaning on each other or feeding each other," Trey commented.

"We don't ever feed each other," I mumbled

"Yeah whatever." I looked up in time to catch him rolling his eyes.

I glanced at Chris and sighed. I honestly just wanted to be friends with him. He was nice and I felt like I could call him for whatever I needed. I didn't need a relationship at the moment. I wasn't looking for distractions and I didn't want to ruin the friendship that we had.

I ran my hands over the blades of grass and decided to suck up my pride and make sure that Chris understood that I appreciated our friendship and didn't want anything to ruin it.

I reached over and grabbed Chris in an awkward embrace. It was awkward because of how we were sitting. It felt like I was trying to hug his arms. "I don't want you to be mad at me," I spoke into his arm.

He sighed and turned so that the hug would no longer be that awkward. "I could never be mad at you. I told you I wasn't mad. It's just, I've gotta get used to being around you as just friends. It's gonna be hard and you just don't know it," he replied loud enough for me to hear.

I looked up and couldn't help the smile that over took my face, and when he smiled back it actually reached his eyes. He kept his arms around me so I just shifted around and laid on him like I usually did during lunch.

"Disgusting," Trey commented with a sour look on his face. I laughed and threw one of the fries from my tray at him.

"Aren't you gonna eat?" Chris asked looking down at me.

"Do you not remember what happened the last time I ate while laying down at you?" I quirked my eyebrows at him.

He laughed a little. "Oh yeah. I ain't trynna get patty and spit all over my face." I smiled again. I just couldn't help it when I was around him.

"Hey guys," Maria greeted. Her steps faltered a little when she saw me lying in Chris' arms, but she brushed it off and plopped down. I squirmed and tried to get out of his arms, but he just tightened his hold.