Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Picture of Maria to the side ========>

You never really realize how quick life goes by. I ended up getting suspended for five days. Momma never found out because her new schedule didn't leave her with a lot of down time. Whenever I did see her she was always sprawled out on the couch. She almost never made it upstairs unless Jordan stayed over and carried her there.

About a month had passed and Chris was starting to get used to the whole friends thing. He even flirted with a couple of girls here and there, but not as much as Trey did. But it was different with him. When he did it I just smirked or rolled my eyes, but when Chris did it, I don't know, I felt heart broken. I felt like slapping whatever girl he was with, but then I'd realize that Chris wasn't mine and he could do as he pleased.

It was lunchtime and we had decided to sit outside. The cafeteria sometimes got too stuffy and we enjoyed the calm setting that nature provided; well at least Chris and I did. I don't think Trey really cared, as long as there were girls around. I rolled my eyes at the thought as the devil himself was telling us another story about his latest girl conquest. It was always the quiet ones too.

We were sitting under a tree and I was lying in Chris' arms eating an apple as he stroked my hair. He'd done it so much before, that I stopped thinking much of the action. I was pretty sure he had gotten over his little crush so I said or did whatever I wanted around him without being afraid of leading him on.

"Then my uncle walked in. Craziest thing. We was on the couch ready to get it poppin' and he walked in like he owned the place," Trey continued.

I spat out the apple pieces that were in my mouth and started choking on my laughter. I looked up to see why Chris wasn't laughing along with me and realized the apple pieces landed on his face since I was lying on him. He was completely still; probably trying to convince himself that, that hadn't just happened.

I burst out in laughter again and tried to wipe his face off with my hands, but I was failing miserably because of the position I was in. He opened his eyes and when they connected with mine he flashed me one of his dimple-popping grins. I smiled back quickly and averted my eyes. Just because he got over me didn't mean I had the same luck.

"Anyways, my boy Brent throwin' a lil get together tonight. I thought we could slide. It's a Friday so our peeps can't say much," Trey informed.

"I don't care. You goin'?" Chris directed his question at me.

I shrugged my shoulders. Momma was still working her crazy shifts and Jordan had stayed over the day before so I doubted he'd do the same that night. I couldn't just leave Michael alone. Chris sensed my uncertainty and told me it was okay if I didn't want to go.

"Man, we in high school, it's a party, and it's Friday. What more reason we need?" Trey cut in.

"I don't want to go. Y'all know none of these girls talk to me and I'm not trynna be there by myself," I replied.

"You goin' with us, you ain't gon' be by yourself," Trey reasoned.

"I might as well be. Once we get there y'all gon' scope out the place and leave me behind to go be with other girls. I'd rather stay home," I muttered.

"Don't worry I'll dance with you. I might even kiss you on the cheek to make you feel better," He joked. Chris didn't say anything. I wished he did though, even if he was joking. Trey kept his eyes on me and waited for my answer.

"I don't know, I'll have to think about it okay. What the hell am I even supposed to wear?" I asked.

"Wear a skirt." Trey grinned and wagged his eyebrows.