Chapter Twenty Four

Chapter Twenty Four

I could hear the muffled ringing of my phone all the way in the kitchen, where I stood making a turkey sandwich. I knew who it was because everybody had their own ringtone, and I knew exactly why he was calling. The ringing stopped, then started up again. I grabbed the sandwich, along with a canned Sprite, and made my way into the living room, making sure to get comfortable before calling him back.

"Man," Chris drawled out.

I laughed, "I saw that your movie was on and I knew, I just knew you would call."

The biggest thing Chris and I had in common was our love of Tyler Perry movies. We knew the lines to all of his movies and often picked out a character that we'd be.

"Ok, so I'mma be him," he started.

"Shemar so fine. On God, if I wasn't so young...."

"You can be her," he continued, ignoring my comment.

"No, I don't wanna be her."

"Why? She's one of the mains. She got the most lines."

" 'Cause man, she gets mistreated in every movie she's in. If she's in a movie, you know for sure that her nigga ain't shit, the worst things happen to her, and she's got a couple of crying scenes," I explained.

"Hmm, so you wanna be someone a lil stronger?" He asked.

"Yea!" I answered excitedly. He was finally getting it.

"Cool, you can be Madea."

"Bruh, you tryin' my life Chris."

His light and airy laughter made me want to laugh along with him. "What? You said you wanted to be strong."

"Not that damn strong." I rolled my eyes.

"I think it's a good fit though. Y'all kinda resemble each other."

"Hmph, says a lot about you too. I do recall you liking me once upon a time."

"Once upon a time not long ago I was a hoe," he sang.

"You're still a hoe," I joked, whispering the word because I didn't want momma to hear me saying it.

"Naw, for real," he sobered up. I even sat up straighter to listen because he got so serious all of a sudden. "I'm on the dl. That explains my attraction to you. I like my women on the masculine side—"

"Shut the hell up Chris." I couldn't believe I thought he was serious. I was wiping tears of laughter away as I said, "they gon' kick us off the set. We're not even saying the lines right."

"Aite let's get serious."

Out of the hour and 30 minutes we spent on the phone, only five of them were spent on the actual movie. I didn't realize how much of a goofball Chris was until then. I wasn't sure when I fell asleep. I just had a hazy memory of Chris saying goodnight, but I was too gone to respond.

"Stop," I grumbled sleepily. Someone was playing around and blowing air on my face. I sucked my teeth, "Mike stop," I growled in frustration and tried to kick him away, but he caught my legs. My eyes snapped open in anger, but immediately softened when I saw who it actually was.

"Who let you in?" I asked with a smile.

"Your mom let me in on her way out," he answered. "A growl though, really?"

I chuckled lightly. "Yeah man, I was having a good dream and now I can't even remember it." I pouted. "Now kiss me to make up for it."

"Uh uh. We're not at that stage of our relationship yet."