Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two

"So, are you going, Chris?" Maria asked. It was the last week of school, the day of exams. We were all eating lunch before our last exams of the day.

"I don't know," he shrugged. "Trey, you goin'?"

"Am I goin'? Nigga I hear his parties be off the chain. Plus, I didn't get to stay long at the last one." The night of Brent's last party was the night Trey walked in on Marcus holding me by the neck. To my relief, he never brought that night up.

"Mario!" Maria squealed. "Are you going?"

"Going where?" Mario asked as he grabbed a handful of my chicken nuggets and stuffed his mouth. A smile immediately formed on his lips when his eyes met with mine.

"To Brent's birthday party over the summer," she answered.

"You know I don't like parties. I like to stay low," he reminded her.

"Risha's goin."

I quirked my eyebrow at her as he quirked his at me. "Really?" He asked.

I shrugged. "It's news to me."

"Of course she's going. We're all going." She clapped her hands together in excitement.

"Well if you go, I'll go," he smiled. "Shit!" He cursed as the bell rang. "I can't miss this exam."

I laughed, "This always happens when you stop here before class. Why don't you bring snacks to school if you're always hungry?"

"'Cause then I wouldn't have an excuse to come and see you. I'll see you later?" He crouched down in front of me.

"Get to class," I said.

"I'll see you later?" He repeated.

"Yes, yes you'll see me later." I shooed him away. He grinned and placed a quick peck on my forehead before sprinting to class.

"Awwww." Trey was lying on his stomach with his hands under his chin as he kicked his legs.

"I know right! Aren't they cute?" Maria gushed.

"You guys are totes cuter," Trey replied in a valley girl voice.

"Uh uh. There's no way Chris and I could compete with Risha and Mario. Right babe?" Chris wasn't paying any mind to the conversation. He was playing with his food, swirling his nugget in the ketchup mayo mixture he'd created. "Right babe?" Mario elbowed him.

"Huh? Yea, right," he answered absentmindedly.

"I'm so excited! We have to hang out this time Risha because you left early the last time," Maria's eyes locked with mine and I had a feeling she wouldn't look away until I nodded in agreement. She pouted her lips and cocked her head to the side when I didn't answer. Her copper hair followed suit, falling in place and framing her face.

"She left early 'cause her ass can't dance. It's lil kids out here throwing it back better than her.

"Ohhh," Maria's eyes lit up, "I can teach you. It's easy and we've got time. Yes! I can totally teach you."

"Can I watch? Ow, shit Maria!" Trey complained when she threw one of her nuggets at him. "Nugget grease is bad for my pores man."

"If you don't stop being so damn perverted you'll have more to worry about than nugget grease!" She threw another one at him.

"Damn it Maria! Stop! Shit, I've got sensitive skin. If I break out, I'm gonna kill you." He shot daggers at her as he used the napkin that was on my tray to wipe his face.