Chapter Thirteen

The New Year’s Day went as quick as it came. I never understood why people made such a big deal about it. If you thought about it, it was just an average day that happened to land on a different year.

The days went as quick as they came and Jordan still wasn’t back. I had a feeling I knew why though; momma was the wrong person to tell something. Not because she couldn’t keep it a secret, but because when she’s surprised she tends to yell out her responses and repeat what was said to her.

I was sitting at the staircase while she was in the kitchen frying some eggs.

“Exactly what’s going on with momma Jordan?” She asked as she scrambled the eggs around.

I couldn’t hear the other end of the conversation, but I knew Jordan well. He was probably sighing and rubbing his hands in circular motions around his head.

“She what? She has what?” Momma exclaimed as she pulled the phone and stared at it in disbelief. “Ahh Jordan, what’s she doing about it?”

I perked up at the question and wondered what they could be talking about. What could possibly be wrong with momma Jordan?

“Jordan I’ve seen these patients, I’ve worked with them. Its not easy, chemo is probably the best bet and I know you guys don’t really believe in modern medicine, but I haven't heard of an herb that can cure this.” She leaned against the kitchen counter and awaited his response.

She smiled a sad smile, “if weed really could cure everything I’d be out of a job. Ok, yeah I understand, just call me when you can.”

She hung up and sighed a heavy sigh until she smelled the smoke and remembered the eggs she was frying. Chemotherapy is used for a lot of reasons, but the most obvious reason was cancer. God, I hoped I was wrong.

We switched classes and this time I had none with Chris or Maria, one with Trey, and another with Mario.

We were currently at lunch. Well, Chris and I were at lunch. I didn’t even think Trey was at school that day. He’d been missing a lot of days and he’d never answer when I asked why. Maria, I didn’t know where she was. She usually never passed up an opportunity to be around Chris.

We still kept our usual spot by the tree. We were becoming pretty good friends. He respected my decision and never pressed the issue of being with me so I was more comfortable around him again. I was laying down on him as he ate- I don’t even know what he was eating. My mind was somewhere else that day.

“Why you not eating?” Chris asked.

“Because I have a headache and I didn’t get any sleep last night so I’m not really in a eating mood," I replied.

When he didn’t respond I opened my eyes to find him staring down at me with furrowed eyebrows. I immediately knew what he was probably thinking. I sighed, “no Chris, I wasn’t up crying, don’t worry I’m a big girl. If a certain someone didn’t insist on calling around four in the morning, I probably wouldn’t be so tired now.”

He smiled. “Hey, don’t complain now. A certain someone don’t have to answer my calls.”

I closed my eyes again. “It’s my job to entertain those who aren’t fortunate enough to have their own entertainment. See, I’m just being a good Samaritan.”

“If you don’t eat, your headache'll get worse. You know what?” He asked.

I felt him moving around. “Wha-?”

He shoved a spoonful of rice into my mouth. That’s right! He had rice and teriyaki chicken. My eyes snapped open and as soon as I felt his hand go to my chin, mine followed. He was way stronger than I was. He moved my jaw up and down to make me chew. Bits of rice were falling out of my mouth because I kept trying to talk.