Chapter Thirty Nine

"So guess what?"

Erin and I currently sat at the cafeteria table eating breakfast.We never usually had a chance to since she always arrived earlier than I, being that she took the bus, momma dropped me off that morning and I offered Erin a ride.

Chris and Trey had yet to arrive, though, so I was left to deal with Erin's shenanigans on my own. I was used to her saying wild things by now, but some things still caught me off guard.

"So you know how people always sayin' all Haitians do voodoo?"

I nodded my head. I was familiar with the stereotype, and though I never brought it up to her, I always wondered how much truth there was to it.

"Well, I've decided to embrace my witch side. I'm startin' small right now, feelin' out auras and energy and shit."

She shoved a spoonful of cinnamon toast into her mouth. I watched drops of milk trail down the corners of her lips as she rushed her chewing.

She swiped at the milk with the back of her hand before continuing. "So if I start all of a sudden knowin' shit, don't get scared."

"Alright, " I humored her with a small smile. "What energy you feelin' from her?" I motioned to the corner of the cafeteria directly across from me with my head.

Erin squinted her eyes and focused on the girl. "I'm feelin' some wholesome aura from her. She's a good girl. Got a good head on her shoulders."

"Hm," I started with a smirk, "that has nothing to do with the fact that she has a bible in her hand right?"

"Naw, not at all." She returned my smirk.

"And what about him?" I jutted my chin in the direction of a guy that stood in the breakfast line.

He was really tall, had to be at least six feet since he towered over everyone else that was around him, and wore a white tee with a pair of gray sweatpants. His hair was tapered and the top was braided back in 4 neat cornrows.

She swiveled her body in her seat to get a good look at him. When she turned back around, her features seemed to be frozen in place. She placed a hand over her heart and released a slow breath before raising her eyes to meet mine.

"Big dick energy, sis. Nothing but big dick energy."

I caught my bottom lip between my teeth, threw my head back, and laughed. "Girl, what would Rod say if he heard you talkin' about big dick energy?"

She shrugged. "Not a damn thing. I'd blame it on the spirits." A small smile played on her lips as she stirred her spork in the bowl of cinnamon milk that was left over. "It comes with the territory. Big dick energy or not, I only got eyes for my baby."

"Who got big dick energy?" I chuckled softly as Chris' arms wrapped around my shoulder.

"Some guy in the breakfast line," Erin answered nonchalantly.

"Word?" He asked as he continued hugging me, rocking us from side to side.

"Chris," I called through my laughter, tugging at his arms, "we're gonna fall."

"Blink if you need help, Reesh. Chris be stank as shit." Trey made his way to us and slung his backpack on top of the table.

I felt Chris' chest vibrate as he laughed. "I smell good right?" He spoke directly into my ears, but was loud enough for the table to hear.

"Mhm," I mumbled against his lips as I placed a kiss on them.

He pulled away a few inches, but still kept his attention on me. "Mornin'."