Chapter Eleven

"Baby, baby wake up." My momma's voice sounded so distant. I was still trying to figure out if she was a part of the dream I was having or not. Sometimes the line between dreams and reality gets blurred and I can't tell what's what.

 I opened my heavy lids to find her staring down at me in amusement. "Wake up and get ready. I'll drop you off at school."

 "I'm exempt from my exams today, I don't have to go."

 "Uh uh," she shook her head, "you know how I feel about school."

 "But momma I'm sick. Cough cough."

 "You're still going to school."

 "But ma I'm dying." I laughed.

 "Uh uh, you not haunting my house. You better go die at school." She yanked the covers off of me.

I laughed. "You're mean."

I got out of bed, grabbed my towel, and took a shower. I was ready within fifteen minutes. I descended the stairs two at a time and found momma in the kitchen fixing our plates.

"It's cold outside," she informed me when she looked up and noticed what I was wearing.

"I know, I like the cold." I shrugged.

"I swear you're more your father's child than mine," she joked.

I stopped in my tracks and locked my gaze with hers and she cocked her head to the side confused. I snapped out of my trance and tried to continue on like nothing happened.

"You ok?" She asked as she put down the toast she was buttering. "I've seen that happen to some of my patients. Maybe you're really sick."

"Mom."

"Is it the blood loss? Is your period heavy? You need-"

"Mom!" I cut her off. "I'm fine, I just need some breakfast."

Her eyebrows furrowed and her hazel eyes were filled with confusion and worry. I wanted to smooth out the worry lines that were creased in her forehead, but I wouldn't be able to do that without telling the truth. I was nothing like him. I had her personality, eyes, body, everything.

She sighed and grabbed the car keys. "Eat up then meet me in the car."

"But you didn't even eat yet."

"I'll eat when I come back," she replied.

I sat down and toyed around with my food before finally eating it. I loved when momma cooked. She wasn't as good as Jordan, but there was just something about a mother's cooking that gave new meaning to the term comfort food. Despite the fact, I couldn't seem to enjoy the eggs, grits, toast, or bacon strips today.

I sighed and slung my backpack over my shoulder as I walked out of the house and into the car. Momma started it as soon as I got in and pulled out of the driveway. We didn't talk at all during the ride and when it was time for me to leave, she kissed my cheek and waited for me to get out. A cold gust of wind immediately slapped my face. My nose felt numb, I couldn't tell if it was running of if it was the icy feeling the cold left behind. Despite that, winter was my favorite season.

I decided to spend my time in the library. I didn't plan to be the only person in class that wasn't taking an exam. I decided to familiarize myself with the U.S laws. Jordan always said the biggest criminals didn't hide. They didn't speak in codes or run when sirens could be heard blocks away. They were out in the open committing crimes in broad daylight. They were the ones sounding off the sirens, the ones who threw others in jail for crimes that were mediocre compared to theirs. My only defense against them was knowledge.