Chapter 12: For the Love of, well, You...

For my dinner with Kyoya, I prepared a traditional meal; Zōni. Sometimes when I cook, it doesn't go too well. This time, I made sure it was perfect.

Prep time took about one hour and fifteen minutes. Cook time was simply twenty minutes. I started cooking at 6 so I would have time to get ready.

Somebody might say that this is a date, but I can't look at it like that. He's married. Until Kyoya is separated from his wife, I can't look at anything we do together as dates. Which is kind of sad, for me, anyway.

My hair and outfit was done/picked out before I began cooking, wanting to be prepared.

At eight in the evening, the doorbell rang. The soup was waiting on the table that had been set out, and I had sent all the help away.

The apron was still tied around me as I answered the door. "Good evening, Kyoya, please come in."

He headed past me. "It smells good, are you making Zōni?"

"Yes, I am..." there was a hint of nerves to my voice.

The former Shadow King gave me an off glance, "Zōni is a traditional dish for New Years. Why did you cook it now?"

My eyes move to floor out of nerves, "Because I felt like it."

What a lie.

"Are you sure?" Kyoya took a step closer to me, probably just to make me nervous.

Not trusting myself to speak, I simply nod. Building up a little confidence, I manage to squeak out, "I wouldn't say it if I wasn't sure."

"Alright then," his arm reaches around me and unties the apron. "Let's go eat."

I throw off the apron and lead Kyoya to the dining room. On my way to go get the food, I picked up the apron and hung it up.

The soup was served on a tray, accompanied by a wine glass, "Would you like some wine, Kyoya?" I made sure to keep my voice light and soothing. I didn't want him to be able to detect my nerves.

It's not a date. It's not a-

My thoughts were cut off by the gentle and cool sensation of his hand grasping mine. His dark eyes were unreadable from behind his glasses.

His voice was softer than my own, "Some red wine would be lovely."

With a blush on my cheeks I turned away and headed for the kitchen once more. The bottle of red wine had been sitting out on the counter. Before leaving the kitchen, I grabbed red seedless grapes from the freezer.

Kyoya gave me an odd look after I had poured our glasses and added the frozen grapes.

"We use frozen grapes instead of ice because they will chill your drink, but they won't water it down," I smiled after my explanation and lifted my glass up.

Kyoya did the same- "To our first real date." -and touched his glass to mine.

For a moment, I was stunned into silence. He called it a real date.

Kyoya said we were on a date.

Excitement suddenly ran through me, and I replied to his toast, "And, hopefully, to many more."

There was a long, riveting conversation over the course of our meal. I loved every minute of it.

He checked his watch, and his eyes widened, "It's 9:30 already? Did supper really take that long?"