Chapter 39..

Wait?

Dravon wondered while his gun was still aimed at Treakle. Did I really just ask her to wait?

He stood awkwardly thinking of what should happen next. What could happen next? Will she be so overwhelmed with being in captivity that she will run into his arms? Or will she be too scared to maintain physical contact even though she craved it? He knew each was highly unlikely considering how confident and secure she looked while he had a gun aimed at her.

Dravon mind was not working properly because of the pain in the head, caused by his so 'lovely father'. I hate them all, how could they do this to his only son..? Ofcourse they can, they are rebels now,  Dravon thought bitterly. Lucky was his father, he shot him with the memory removing bullets and not with the real bullets, which can kill him instantly. He shuddered at the thought of killing someone.

"Treakle wait." He said again when he saw the slight shift in her weight, it was the first sign that someone was about to run. "Don't leave and please don't scream." He said inching towards her. He wasn't sure if she was armed and was hesitant to lower his weapon.

"You have some nerve coming here." She spat inching away every time he moved.

"What do you mean? I'm coming to rescue you..."

"Rescue me?" She gave a short laugh "What makes you think I need you to rescue me? In case you didn't notice I escaped without your help."

Dravon narrowed his eyes, "I hate to break up the little 'I'm such an amazing spy' façade you're putting on, but you probably would have been dead by now without me."

"Puh-lease! I don't know where you were when I escaped the cell with my parents..." She trailed off remembering what Alcee had told her earlier on. Then carried on with venom on her tongue "But I guess it doesn't matter that I saved them, they're dead now."

Misunderstanding what she was referring to Dravon sighed, "I'm sorry-"

Treakle choked on a breath and glared at him, "Sorry? What is sorry going to do for me? Do you really think that's going to help?"

With a sense of vertigo and déjà vu, Treakle and Dravon both remembered a conversation back at the headquarters. It was a few days before the mission and Dravon had just finished telling her about his mother. As they both averted their gaze momentarily they realized they were thinking about the same time; back when things weren't clouded with hate.

"I know why you started to dislike me Tree, and I'd love to explain to you why you're wrong to, but now is not the time to stand around talking." He stepped closer, grateful when he saw she didn't move away. "The rebels will only be fooled for so long before they realize it was a trick."

"Did you know your mother is alive?"

That stopped Dravon. He gaped at her, wondering where this topic was going.

"I take that as a yes. It only took me 'til now to remember that she supposedly was dead. But then again maybe you knew and this was some elaborate plan to kill off the whole Kemp family tree."

His head tilted to the side and he started lowering his gun. "You think I'm trying to kill you?"

"Well I wouldn't put it beneath you."

Dravon's anger flared at her statement.

"Really; because I know for a fact that the council gave you a very special mission before we left. Perhaps it is me that should be suspicious."

That stopped Treakle. She gaped at him wondering how and when he found out.

"Lovely." He spat. "So it's true. You are trying to kill me."