17

R I L E Y

"Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah sure, anything Maya." I said looking through movies.

"What's going on between you and Lucas?" I froze.

What is going on between us?

I mean, I haven't even told him the truth. Yet, we been both acting comfy and coupley together.

"I don't even know Maya. It's complicated." I simply said.

"Then let me help you. We're suppose tell each other everything, we're best friends, no we're sisters. Look you have a boyfriend who's on the other side of the country, while you're here getting comfy with another boy." Ouch that hurt, but nonetheless I deserved it. "None of this makes sense. Please tell me what's going on Riley."

"Devin and I we were never dating. We were a fake couple for a while, or should say for a long time."

"What?! What the fuck Riley!?" She yelled.

"How the fuck did this happen?! And here I thought maybe you found someone suitable after the whole Lucas fiasco. But then again you did tell me you still love him."

"I would thought the same way if I were you." I said.

"I need to sit down, this is too much to handle." She said sitting down and murmuring nonsense.

❂❂❂❂❂

What had felt like hours, actually were a few minutes, of silence, Maya spoke up.

"You, Devin, fake couple. You, Lucas, close to being a couple."

"Yup but I'm still working on the whole Lucas thing." I said.

"Oh man, how did the whole fake couple began anyways?" She asked curiously.

"If was a about a few months after the break up with Lucas. I was already friends with Devin, because at the time I worked as an assistant for him. Devin was dating this girl name, Lauren. They've been together for about 4 years and was ready to propose to her." I began to say.

"Let me guess she said no, he was heartbroken and boom, to heartbroken people meet." Maya said.

"Nope. He had left earlier than usual for home to surprise her. When he got home, she was fucking the neighbor in their bed. Turns out when she had been cheating on him for a while."

"No. Poor Devin, no wonder he moved out." Maya said in shock.

"Yup. Later that night, when I was getting ready to leave, I found him drunk in his office, hysterically emotional." I said a bit emotional, it was painful to see him in that state.

"I swear my heart broke into a thousand pieces." Maya said looking a bit teary.

"He was sobbing his heart out, telling me that he loved her over and over again. From that on, we vowed to protect each other from heartbreak."

"Weeks later, he asked me to be his fake girlfriend for a dinner with his family. At time they knew he was dating someone, but didn't know that he and Lauren broke up."

"You agreed and now here we are." Maya said realizing what happened in her best friend's life.

"Speak of devil. Hello?" I answered the phone.