Part 7

Brielle starts to unpack the lunch as Adam makes room for them. He goes upstairs and grabs a blanket they can sit on. He comes back down and Brielle is on the phone, hysterical.

"Brielle?" He asks, sudden terror in his eyes. She breathes heavily in and out. He chucks the blanket down, and goes to her.

"Brielle." He whispers to her as he takes her in his arms. Her phone drops to the floor and her body collapses.

"Brielle, darling, it's okay." He says in a panic as he starts to move, trying to sit down on the floor. He manages to get down and sit on the floor with her limp body against his in his arms. He has his legs spread a little bit so hers could fit between his. He cradles her in his arms, rocking her back and forth.

"Brielle?" He keeps repeating in a soft voice. Over and over he calls her name until she eventually wakes up again, and immediately starts to cry. No, she sobs.

"Brielle, tell me what's wrong." Adam says in a quiet voice as he rocks her back and forth, carressing her hair.

"Adam I need to go to the hospital..." She says in between breaths.

"Why?" He asks.

"My father is dying."

~

They arrive at the hospital and Brielle sprints in. Adam limps after her. She quickly turns around and grabs his hand, forgetting he still has his cast on. She goes to the woman at the front dest and asks for her fathers room. She gives it to her and Brielle takes Adam's hand again, leading him to the elivator. She pushes the 'up' button and it opens. They get in and she's still gripping Adam's hand tightly. She starts to sob again, and he lets go of her hand and pulls her into a sideways hug.

"Shhhh, it's okay, I'm here." He says to her. He reaches over and presses the '8' button. The doors close and she pulls away from him, and grabs his hand again. They stand shoulder to shoulder.

The elivator doors open, but Brielle doesn't move. Adam tugs on her hand, and she slowly starts to move. She tightens her grip on his hand as they make their way down the hall. She all of the sudden stops and wraps her arms around Adam, burying her face in his chest. He puts his hand on the back of her head, stroking her hair.

"It'll be okay." He says softly. She shakes her head.

"No it won't. Please come in with me." She says. She moves her face out of his chest. He looks down at her and gets a bit of tear-soked hair off of her face.

"Okay." He says quietly. She turns and knocks on the door, gripping his hand again. The door creaks open and they see a nurse standing in the doorway.

"Can I help you?" The nurse whispers.

"Yes, I'm Brielle Johnson, his daughter." Brielle says. The nurse moves out of the way and they slide in.

"Oh daddy." She says at the sight of her father. She lets go of Adam and sees her mom standing with her arms open. Brielle runs into them and they both sob.

"I'm so sorry honey." Her mother says.

"Is there no way they can save him?" She asks.

"I'm afraid not. He's been asleep for a while..." Her mother replies. She looks at Adam, and then at Brielle.

"Who's this?" She asks.

"Oh, mom this is Adam. Adam, this is my mom." Brielle answers. He steps forward and sticks a hand out.

"Nice to meet you, and I'm so sorry." He says as she takes it.

"Thank you Adam, it's nice to meet you too." She says letting to. They hear a noise come from Brielle's father.

"Dad!" She says, kneeling down beside his bed.

"I can't stay awake too much longer, Bri. I just-" He says breathing heavily.

"I just wanted to tell you how special you are to me. I love you so much, you know that right?" He says. She nods and grabs his hand, shedding tears.

"I love you dad." She says kissing his hand. He looks at Adam who has tears in his eyes.

"Dad, this is Adam. The one I told you about, remember?" She says between breaths. He steps forward and takes her fathers hand.

"It's nice to meet you Adam. You'll take care of my little girl, won't you?"

"I promise sir. I won't let anything happen to her." He says, with a few tears streaming down his cheeks. He backs up again, but Brielle grabs his hand. She stands up and let's her mother have one last turn. She and Adam go back against the wall. He wraps his arms around her as she quietly sobs into his chest. They hear the 'beep, beep, beep' turn into one long 'beeeeeeeeeeeeee...' Brielle looks up and sees her mother sobbing over him. Nurses come in and cover him with a sheet.

"No, no no no no no." Brielle says into Adam's chest. He puts his hand back on her head and strokes her hair.

"Shhhhh, it's okay. He's in a better place now. He's not suffering anymore." He quietly says to her, rocking her back and forth. She nods and her mother comes over to them. Adam opens up his left arm and she slides in. Brielle lets go of Adam and grabs her mom. Adam wipes his face with his hands. He looks over at the man who's now covered with a sheet. After a few minutes, Brielle and her mom split apart, not able to choke out any more tears. Brielle's face is red, and her eyes are puffy. She slips back into Adam's arms. He comforts her with his smell, and his warmth.

"I'm sorry, Brielle." He whispers.

"It's okay. He's not suffering anymore, like you said." She replies. The only thing she needs now is Adam.

Authors note:

Hey guys! Sorry it's taken me SO long to post this part. I've been super busy with school, but the year is almost over, so yay! Hope you liked it, I know it took a serious turn, I don't really know where that came from... Anyway, love you all! Stay beautiful <3