11. Into her mind

I think Alanis Morisette's Uninvited is a perfect song for Evelyn and Shawn. Btw, I'd love to hear your thoughts :)

xxx

TillieMillie

********************************************************************

Evelyn fought not to fall into unconsciousness, but the fight was useless. Her body could'n handle the pain. Slowly she dived into darkness. The pain was gone. It was divine. She could also feel a strange presence near her, around her and inside of her. It wasn't scary. No. It was soothing and made her feel safe. Then the darkness suddenly disappeared and she could see a small girl standing in front of her. 

"Who are you?" Evelyn asked.

The girl giggled. 

"You're silly. I'm you, of course." 

Evelyn stared at the little girl. She tried to get up but couldn't. The girl shook her head but a smile never left her lips.

"You don't have to run. Not anymore. You're safe with him."

"Wha- with whom?"

"You're silly," the girl giggled and disappeared.

The darkness came back, but it didn't scare her. She could feel a warm breeze on her cheek and then on her neck. A strange need took over her body. She wanted something, but she didn't know what. Suddenly she felt her body floating on something warm. She didn't want that sensation to end. But it did. A sharp pain on her neck pulled her deeper into darkness. But the pain only lasted for a blink of an eye. The floating sensation came back, stronger than ever and made her whole body shiver in pleasure. Then she heard a voice:

"Now. Always."

She didn't know where the voice came from but it echoed in her mind. It was like these words were the thing she was floating on. Those two words controlled her and defined her. 

"No!" a terrified scream silenced the mesmerising echo. Evelyn felt someone pulling her away and she wasn't floating anymore. Now she was face to face with a woman she didn't know, but for some reason she felt familiar. Important even.

They were under a big bridge. Cars were driving above them. It was very loud and Evelyn could hardly hear what the woman was saying. The woman hold her close to her chest and rocked her like a baby. There were tears in her eyes. 

"I love you, baby girl. I'm sorry," she sobbed. 

Evelyn tried to touch the woman's face to wipe her tears away, but she couldn't move her hands. The woman let go of her and stepped away. Her eyes were filled with sorrow.

"RUN!" she cried out and disappeared. 

Run, run, run, run, run! 

Now. Always.

NO! Run, run, run, run, run!

Evelyn started to cry, because she started to feel overwhelmed. 

"What does this mean?" she sobbed. 

No answer.

"Hello!" she shouted. 

No one. 

"I need to wake up," she said. She tried to open her eyes but couldn't. Every time she tried to step out of the darkness, it pulled her back even deeper. When she decided to give up, she heard a familiar mesmerising voice.

"You don't have to fight it. Just relax. You're safe. I'm here."

"Who are you? Where are you?"

"I'm your mate and I'm right here."

Evelyn didn't understand what that meant, but it calmed her down. She gave her mind and body a permission to relax, fall deeper into darkness. 

"Now. Always."

She fell asleep.

*******************************************************************************

Shawn felt the happiness he had never known before.  Evelyn was in his arms, asleep. He wondered what she had experienced after he had marked her. Shawn could feel her feelings, but he couldn't read her mind. But he was able to speak into her mind, now that she had his mark on her neck. And she had answered him. That was a mate thing. And when Shawn felt  her fear and anxiousness, he wanted to make her calm down. 

Now she was asleep. She was ok. 

Shawn moved away from her, making sure not to wake her up. He needed to make a phone call, so he stepped out of the tent. There was no signal. Lucky for him, they weren't in the Northfall pack territory. Evelyn had set up her camp couple miles outside its border. Now they were in a no man's land. He needed to walk further away from the camp to get signal. It pained him to leave her, but he had no choice. 

He dialled the number and after just one ring someone answered.

"Yes? DO you have the right girl?"

"Yes," Shawn said coldly. 

"Good. You'll be here tomorrow?"

"No."

"No?"

"I'm not coming. She's not coming."

"What are you talking about, Cage? 

"I'm not giving her to you. She's my mate."

The other end went silent for a moment.

"Do you understand what this means?" 

Shawn chuckled. As crazy as it sounds, he thrived in moments like this. In moments where dangerous ultimatums were made.

"You can send your whole fucking pack after me. I won't change my mind."

"I'm not going to send anyone after you. I'm going to send every fucking pack in the west coast to take care of your brother's pack. And then... Yes then, I'm coming to get her. And when I have her, I'm going to make sure you get to watch how I kill her. Slowly."

"You have one little problem."

"Is that so."

"You are going to experience the most painful death before you can even take a glance at her. You have my word, you miserable piece of shit. And as you know, the Cage brothers never break their promises." Shawn spoke calmly like he was talking about the weather. 

"And about sending the west coast packs against my brother... Don't forget he's the fucking leader of the east."

Shawn hung up and put the phone back into his pocket. Then he started to walk back to Evelyn's camp. When he got back, Shawn realised her scent was gone. 

"Evelyn!" he shouted and run to her tent. It was empty.

"Evelyn?" he spoke into her mind.