FAY: Three - Meeting Max

"I'm Max by the way," miss Kaye whispers to me. She has a warm smile and it reaches her eyes too. I smile back at her. I usually feel a bit uneasy around beautiful girls and don't know how I should act. But with Max, I don't feel that. I guess it's her warmth and a glimpse of mischief that makes me like her even I don't even know her yet. I wonder why she has such a boyish name, though.

"Fay," I say in case she only heard my last name.

"It's nice to meet you, Fay. Are you a protector?" Max asks.

My food nearly goes down the wrong way and I start to cough. I quickly take a sip of water as Mrs. Cage gives me a disapproval look.

"Are you ok?" Max asks and gently taps my back. I nod vigorously. I want everyone's attention away from me.

"Yes, I'm ok now," I mumble.

The adults return back to their conversation.

"H-how did you know?" I ask.

"Well your father is one, so it would be a logical conclusion. And... I happen to sense it," she says.

"You sense it? How?" I get excited.

"It's my gift," Max says. She speaks like it's not a big thing - nonchalantly. I look at her with wide eyes and a restless heartbeat. Max laughs. "You have never met anyone who can sense things?"

"No. Never. This is so cool!"

"Hah. I've never been called cool. Other names have been flying around but cool... never," Max laughs.

"How? How do you sense things?" I can't help myself. I need to know!

"Well..." Max starts. She puts her fork and knife down and gives me her full attention. She stares at me intensely. I bit my lip nervously. "...right now I see a light radiating from you."

"Wow! Really?"

"Uhuh. It's really strong. And I can hear a harp-like sound. It's like heaven is opening up above you," she says.

"Really?" I ask and look up just in case if I could also see the light she's talking about. I look back into her eyes and there it is again - the mischief.

"Haha! Very funny," I sigh.

"It's really not a big thing. Nothing dramatic," Max laughs. "It's like intuition."

I roll my eyes. Intuition. Boring.

"But there's something, that might interest you. I sensed you are a protector and-," Max doesn't continue further. She turns her eyes away from me and I follow her gaze. Seth Cage.

He pays us no attention as he's deep in conversation with his father and Mr. Kaye.

"The alpha's son will stand in your way," she finishes.

"What?" I ask feeling baffled. "What do you mean?"

"All I know is you should be careful not to lose your purpose. Last night, in my dream I saw him... and you. You were walking down a busy street. He was holding your arm. It looked like he was making sure you could not get away. Then I saw a billboard that had big red letters all over it. You couldn't make out what they meant, but I was able to read them."

My head starts to spin. This is surreal.

"What did they say?"

"Run. Run. Run."

I turn to look at Seth. My heart skips a beat because he is looking right back at me.