Chapter Twelve

I've gotten used to my prison and the routine and rules of it.

If I try to look out the window, Illusion enters, closes the curtains, gives me a hostile glare, and exits. One day, out of sheer boredome, I had done this several times. After about the fifth time, Infinity took Illusion's place and slapped me. That had hurt.

No way of telling time other than my sleeping habits, I place Breakfast at a time where the hunger starts to cause sharp pains in my stomach after I've woken up. Lunch is nonexistant, and I usually fall asleep before Dinner. In the middle of the night I will eat the cold food and go to the bathroom, then return to sleep. The cycle repeats itself every day.

If I throw a temper tantrum, Eventide will enter the room and sit staring at me from the corner where a rocking chair had been set up. One time, I had focused my attacks on him. He had looked at me not with anger, but with disinterest, like he was saying "seriously? Is this really necessary?" This way of ignoring me calmed my nerves and I sat facing the wall in detached silence for the rest of the day, unnerved by Eventide's own quietness.

At around what I deemed midday, I would be brought out from the room under Nicolae's watchful eye and allowed to roam mindlessly. No t.v., no food, no using their nicer bathroom. I don't understand why I was allowed out of the room, but I suspect it's to observe my well being.

If I attempt to watch t.v., make myself food, or make use of the bathroom, Nicolae makes a loud cracking noise. Having being so focused on rulebreaking, I still don't know how he does it. If the loud noise doesn't work, Nicolae hurls insults at me ruthlessly until I retreat back to the prison of toys.

Nothing else happens within the day, and I find myself empty of any feeling anymore. I follow the rules, I don't breach the routine, I don't complain. During the mass amount of free time, I entertain the hope that Gale and Pheonix will come and "bail" me out. Every passing minute, the hope dwindles.

Sitting in the darkness of my prison, I watch swirls and patterns that my mind creates without anything to focus on. I've taken to the still, silent passtime quite nicely. My time out of the cell isn't for awhile, so I don't dare use up any of the dreams and thoughts I've stored up for a particularly boring day.

When Century walks in, I jump up with a cry of shock. I haven't seen him in....a long time. And there is never any break in routine since then. He has the phone in his hand, and he tosses it to me, taking up his brother's usual position in the rocking chair. The door lies open on it's hinges. I pick up the phone.

"Hello?" I inquire hoarsely. Clearing my throat, I try again. "Hello?"

"Dominic, before anything goes any further, I'm sorry, you know we care about you, don't you?" I can't place the voice. I've forgotten names too easily. Who is this person...I wonder.

"Who are you?" I ask, dumbfounded.

"I'm Leshii! How could you forget?! I-" his words are cut off as a new speaker takes his place.

"This is Pheonix. Dominic, you came into our ranks as an outsider. We've survived for a long time without you. We can't afford the money and the blood, and we need to finish this war." I accept the information dully.

"Okay...?"

"We're not coming for you."

As he speaks those words, the phone drops from my hand.

"Well? Are they coming today or not? It's been way too long. Julian is about to skin us alive," Century demands, muttering the last sentence under his breath.

In shock of the situation, I had continued on in the dull personality I had adopted upon being imprisoned. Now I explode in anger, kicking the phone into the wall and effectively shattering it, ripping at the stuffed animals I had used Nicolae's money for, destroying everything in my path. Illusion and Infinity appear in the doorway as I thrashed around in insane outrage. Before I understand what is happening, they have my arms and legs and I'm pinned to the bed. Illusion sits on my calves and Infinity leans over the side of the bed to hold my arms down, one knee by my stomach in case I begin to buck at them.