Chapter 17

Bella's POV

His eyes.

The eyes I always thought were so intimidating and hard, now soft and kind.

As we swayed along to the music, I got lost in his eyes.

I watched as he swallowed hard, then leaned down, his lips inches from mine.

Then my phone rang.

Way to ruin the moment.

I slipped my hand into the tiny pocket in my dress and pulled it out to decline the call when I saw that it was papa.

"I'm sorry, it's my dad, I really have to take this."

"No problem." He looked remorseful and I felt so bad, but I really had to talk to papa.

I went in the hall where it was quieter and answered. "Papa? Where are you? Are you ok?"

"Bella, my baby girl, it's so good to hear your voice."

I almost cried. "Papa, what happened to you? I thought you were dead-"

"All in time, dear, it's a long story. Where are you?"

Adam rushed out into the hall, mouthing to me "Is he ok?"

I nodded. "I'm actually at prom right now."

He sounded deflated. "Have fun. I can talk to you later-"

"No. I want to see you. You don't know how hard it has been for me. I'll be home in ten minutes." I hung up and turned to Adam. "He's home. Finally." I refrained myself from jumping up and down and squealing.

"That's great, after so long it's good he got home." He looked happy for me but I felt like he was still sad. "You should go home, go see him."

I would. I wouldn't care if I was vacationing in the Bahamas I would go to him immediately, but now it was different. Now there was Adam. Now he was almost equivalent to my father as far as priorities went. I only had one prom, I could see papa after. But after three weeks I couldn't bear not to be without him another moment.

"Are you sure? Because we could finish this dance-"

"No." He came over and took my hands in his. "You need to go home. Don't worry about me."

I smiled in appreciation. "I'll try to come back-"

He waved my concerns away. "Don't worry about it. But one last thing before you go," he took a petal from the rose on his corsage and scribbled something on it. "Call me later."

I blushed deeply. "Will do. Thank you again, so much. I had a more than amazing time."

He smiled. "Now go get your dad."
_____________

"Papa?" My words echoed through the house and for a moment, I thought somebody had pulled a mean joke on me, then I heard the comforting sound of metal clinking on metal and rushed into the living room to found my father hunched over the coffee table, tinkering with his tools.