◇1◇

The bitter cold nipped at my bones mercilessly. I had on a jacket and a thick coat, but the freezing air still found a way through the material.

My aunt, Rozalina, was right next to me keeping watch out for anything that seemed unnormal.

I searched the abandoned store for any food or medical supplies. We had enough at home for about two or three weeks. But like always it wasn't enough. I grabbed things swiftly and quietly off of the shelves; my aunt and I had to be extra quiet....they could hear everything.

We looked around the store once more before we hurried out. The snow underneath our feet crunched obnoxiously and loudly; but we kept running. The faster we got home, the safer we were.

My aunt suddenly stopped and looked to the left of her. "What-.." I said but was cutt off by a sharp glance from her grey eyes. She stared at the empty car with tinted windows a moment more, before grabbing my wrist and taking off.

The car that was once still and dark became alive with a sharp turn that headed in our direction. My feet quicked as the fear of death creeped up my spine.

The car sped up and was now only ten hands behind us. "The woods!" Aunt Rozalina shouted. If I was at home with a mug of hot chocolate and warm blanket I would have cursed the person who thought of the idea to go into the woods. But I'm not at home; I'm being chased by a damn car!

Out of fear and wanting to get away from sick person driving behind the wheel; we quickly dashed through the tall trees. We ran faster as we heard the car stop and a slam of a door.

"The log" I said quietly. We climbed in the muddy, moss green log and held our breath as the person approached with slow knowing strides.

I tried to contain my heart that was beating at an unforgiving pace. If the person was a cold one, then we were dead. But thankfully God did not want us yet and I could hear the loud breathing of the physco hunting us.

Aunt Rozalina held my hand tightly and smiled at me with a confidence I had always admired.

The breathing of the person stopped and was replaced with a sinister chulcke. "You don't hide so well" his voice said from behind us.