Chapter 4

Phew! Installing a lock on my bedroom door solved most of my problems. I also designated one cabinet for my dishes and put a lock on that. My clothes and shoes were never left outside of my room for Normani to give to Coco as toys. But, there still remained the problem of Normani being homophobic. Or, maybe she wasn't really homophobic; she just had a misunderstanding of what it means to be gay. Either way, the insults and insensitive comments kept coming.

One Sunday, I woke up to see that Normani wasn't around and Dinah watching television in the living room. This was my opportunity to talk to Dinah alone. Normani had been staying with us for a couple of months, and it was time for her to find a different living situation.

"Dinah, we need to talk," I said taking a seat next to her on the couch.

"Is it about Normani?" she asked.

"How did you know?" I teased. "Your friend needs to go. She's driving me crazy and treats me like shit."

"Normani is like that with everyone. It's nothing personal. She's just been having a hard time for the past few years," Dinah explained.

"You're honestly going to tell me that Normani treats everyone as bad as she treats me? If she's frustrated about something, she's taking it all out on me," I stated.

Dinah countered, "Normani really likes you, actually. She told me the other day that you're cute."

"You know how she is. She for sure meant that in a condescending way just like when she petted me on the head yesterday," I argued.

"She hates having to share a bed with me and living in a 'trailer.' Just be patient. I'm sure she'll get her own place soon," said Dinah.

"Where is she, by the way?" I inquired.

"She's shopping," Dinah informed me.

"With what money?" I questioned.

Dinah shrugged her shoulders. Speaking of the devil, here she was walking in with someone I had never seen before. "Good afternoon Dinah and the Latina Rosie O'Donnell. Look who I ran into." Normani pointed to a short Latina with bleached hair.

"Hi, Dinah. Long time no see," greeted the short woman.

"Hi, Ally." Dinah stood up to hug the guest. "Have a seat."

As Ally sat down in one of the recliners, she began speaking about Normani's outfit. "I saw Normani in the mall looking super cute in this dress, and I just had to stop her. Doesn't she look great? I mean, she always looks perfect, but this ensemble is too adorable."

Normani interjected. "Well, it wasn't an original idea I have to admit. I got it off of Tyra Banks' new show. There was a stylist showing women how to turn their husbands and boyfriends' clothing into outfits for women. I took one of Lauren's man shirts out of the dryer and created this dress."

"Who is Lauren?" Ally asked.

Who is Lauren? How about the only other person in the room who you don't know?

Normani pointed straight at me. "She's the one sitting next to Dinah looking like one of the bikers from the Sons of Anarchy."

"Are you going to be her old lady?" Ally joked.

"Ew, no. She's broke, and the only lesbian I would date is Ellen. She's funny and rich," Normani answered.

Ally then set her eyes on me, and I was praying that she wouldn't say anything to me. She seemed to be just as ignorant as Normani. "So, Lauren, are you the one who's always staring at Normani's ass?"