Chapter 15

A/N: If you haven't already seen it, I have a new Laurmani video. 

"Aw, baby. What's wrong?" Normani asked me. She had just entered our bedroom and saw me crying. She sat on the bed next to me and embraced me.

"I'm just so happy," I sobbed.

Normani looked at me quizzically. "Why?"

"I'm not white," I replied.

"Are you still on that? Bye." Normani hopped up from the bed and was about to walk out of the room.

"Wait!" I hollered. "Don't we have that gun class to go to today?"

"Oh, yeah," Normani remembered. She looked at her watch. "Oh, snap. It starts in about 30 minutes, so we need to head out now."

I quickly checked my hair in the dresser mirror, threw on my leather jacket, put on my combat boots, and followed Normani out the door to her SUV. My car was still out of service because I hadn't replaced the tires yet. It was a good thing that Normani and I worked from home so we didn't have to worry about who needed to use her SUV when.

Normani had brought her Beretta and ammo with her. Since I didn't have a gun, I planned on renting one from the training school. Following the instructions that were emailed to us, Normani left her gun in the car. It was only to be brought out for the gun range portion. We easily found the classroom we were going to be in for the first half of the class, and the instructor was already waiting for us in a black t-shirt and tactical pants.

"Nice boots," he complimented.

"Thanks," I responded. I never thought I would have anything in common with a gun instructor, but we both seemed to have a similar taste in clothing.

"Will you be renting?" he asked me.

"Yes, sir, but I brought the 9mm ammo you said we needed," I answered.

"Good," he said. "How about you, sweetie? Do you need a rental?" he asked Normani.

"Oh, no," she answered as she took a seat at a desk. "I got a Beretta for Christmas."

"Well, isn't that nice? Did your boyfriend or you daddy get it for you?" he inquired.

Normani answered, "Neither. My girlfriend right here got it for me."

The instructor looked confused for a bit, but eventually figured it out. "Oh. Oh. Oooohhh! Anyway, why are you sitting way back there? Come up to the front. It makes it easier to pay attention, and I get a clearer view of that pretty little face of yours."

Okay. This guy was pissing me off already. But, Normani's naïve self moved up to the front, so I followed. During the next several minutes, more attendees entered, and I thought I saw someone I knew.

"Hey!" I called out. "Were you on that whale-saving expedition?"

The woman I was talking to stopped in her tracks and squinted her eyes. "Lauren? Oh, my god! How are you doing?" She sat down at a desk next to me.

"I'm doing well," I answered. "How are you?"

"Uh. Let's just say that things could be better," she answered.

"I'm sorry to hear that." I turned around to get Normani's attention. "Normani, this is Nancy. Nancy, this is my girlfriend, Normani."

The two women smiled and nodded at each other. I, then, continued the conversation. "I wouldn't have expected to see you at a shooting class."