Chapter 12

A/N: If you haven't already seen it, I have a Camren are cousins video on YouTube. You can watch it above.

"Now that you're no longer dating your cousin and you're taking me to have Thanksgiving with your family, does this mean we're back together?" asked Normani.

"Yes, Mani," I groaned.

Normani looked around the inside of my car and turned up her nose. She swiped her finger across my dashboard leaving a clean line in the middle of all the dust. I'll be honest. I needed to clean the inside of my car.

"You never told me how you started talking to Camila," Normani mentioned.

"We have a class together," I explained. "She's studying to be a nutritionist, but she hasn't been showing up lately."

"A nutritionist?" exclaimed Normani. "Who would take her seriously as a nutritionist when she looks malnourished?"

When we arrived at my parents' house, we were greeted by my mom, dad, brother, and sister. They all joyfully hugged Normani, and she seemed ecstatic.

"Aw, Lauren. Your dad is so cute. He looks like the Michelin Tire Man," Normani commented. Then, she whispered in my ear. "Now knowing the genes that you carry, I'm cutting carbs from your diet. I am not having a fat girlfriend."

"We are so happy to finally meet your girlfriend, Lauren," said my mother. "We were almost afraid that you were dating your cousin."

I could see Normani folding her lips struggling not to burst out in laughter. "Don't you say anything," I warned her.

While my parents were putting the finishing touches on the food, I sat down with Normani on the living room couch and showed her a photo album of my family.

"Are you adopted?" Normani asked.

"No. Why would you ask that?" I questioned.

Normani answered, "You don't look like the rest of your family, but I guess since you look like Camila and your mothers are related, then you aren't adopted."

"How about we not bring up Camila anymore?" I suggested.

I continued to show Normani photos. We came to the section of my baby and toddler pictures. Normani was grinning from ear to ear.

"You were so cute," she cooed. "Look at those squinty eyes. I'm surprised you could see out of them."

"What you said is wrong on so many levels."

"I'm sorry," Normani apologized. "I'll shut up now."

I, then, showed her Christmas photos. There were several photos of me as a kid showing off my Christmas gifts and standing in front of a tree. Normani looked as if she had stopped paying attention, but she was probably trying to stop herself from saying something offensive.

"What is it, Normani?" I inquired.

She answered, "It's just that, in some of these childhood photos, your teeth look like butter. Why would your parents let you go around looking like that? Didn't they make you brush your teeth?"

I threw the photo album down on the couch and stomped my foot. "You know what, Normani? You're always insulting people as if you're perfect. Let's not forget that you get really bad acne during the summer."

Normani silently stared at me, and her mouth started quivering. I could see her eyes welling. I could not believe that she was going to put on a crying act after that horrible insult about my teeth.