Chapter 10

A/N: I made a mistake in one of my previous chapters that I have to change. After Christmas and New Year's, they're in 2016, not 2015. 

"I want to go to the Louvre one day to see the Mona Lisa in person," I mentioned. "She's supposed to be the most beautiful woman in the world."

We were at a local art show. Normani wasn't impressed with the abstract art. To be honest, I wasn't impressed either. I consider myself to be pretty open-minded, but some of the stuff looked like it was created by kindergarteners.

Normani had grimaced at my last comment. "She was not cute."

"Oh, god. Here we go," I exclaimed.

"She wasn't," Normani reiterated. "Her face was kind of chubby, and she had no eyebrows. I'm cuter than she was."

"Erm," I muttered.

Normani interrupted, "You better say the right thing, or you'll be sleeping on the couch."

"You can't kick me out of my own room," I stated.

"Try me," she threatened.

I conceded, "Alright. You're cuter than Mona Lisa."

"Aw, Lauren," Normani cooed. "You're so romantic. Too bad your broke ass can't take me to Paris to see the famous painting of that ugly woman."

Normani was something else, but she was my something else. I never had so much fun in my life. Things were never boring with her around. I was falling for her and falling for her hard. It kind of scared me because she was so unpredictable.

We had been together for several months when the Fall 2016 semester was about to start. My cohort was having a beginning of the year party in one of the classrooms. Of course, I was taking Normani as my date. She was more excited to go than she should have been. I later found out that she wanted to see if any of my classmates were cuter than her.

"You are the last person I would expect to be insecure," I said at the party.

"I'm not insecure anymore. All of your female classmates look homely," Normani commented.

I gave her a kiss on the cheek. "You wouldn't have anything to worry about anyway. I only have eyes for you."

"Mmmhmm," Normani hummed. "That's what they all say. You kind of have the mind of a man, and all men cheat."

I was going to say something, but decided to ignore that last statement. With Normani, you had to learn how to not take offense to her wildest comments. We got some refreshments, and I gave her a tour of some of the simulation labs. She thought those were cool. She was half-expecting us to not have any advanced technology or wacky stuff not used in mainstream medicine. Well, we did have some odd machines, but I wasn't going to show her those.

After the mini-tour, I took her back to the party to introduce her to some of my classmates. Thomas, one of the classmates I talked to the most, approached us with his girlfriend, Becky, at his side. "Hey! How's it going?" he greeted.

"Nothing much," I responded. "Is that a ring I see on her finger?"

"Yes!" Becky beamed. "He proposed last week."

"Congratulations!" said Normani.

"Aren't you going to introduce us to your friend?" asked Thomas.

"Oh, this is my girlfriend, Normani," I replied.

Normani smiled, but it didn't seem sincere. She actually seemed a little annoyed. I couldn't figure out what her problem was.