Chapter 1

A/N: I couldn't wait to get started on this story. I'll probably put Camrenita on hold because I prefer writing Laurmani stories. 

Ugh. It was yet another morning in my boring life. I didn't have class that day, and that's usually the highlight of my day. My plan was to read, watch some shows on Hulu, and try that new vegan restaurant later that evening by myself. My housemate, Dinah, couldn't fathom eating alone at a restaurant, but I've been doing it for years because I don't really have any friends. Dinah was cool and all, but we didn't hang with each other outside of the house.

About a year ago, I decided to save money on rent by getting a housemate. I put an ad in Craigslist and lucked out with Dinah. It could have been a disaster, but I was desperate. There isn't much money in freelance writing, and I didn't have time to get a full-time job while being in graduate school. Dinah was a preschool teacher at a daycare, and that job didn't pay squat.

"Lauren." I could hear my housemate knocking on my bedroom door, and I really didn't want to get out of bed.

"What's up?" I asked tiredly after opening the door.

"I kind of have a situation," answered Dinah while twiddling her thumbs. She must need a favor. "My friend could no longer afford her rent and got evicted from her apartment. Can she stay with us for a little while? Pretty please!"

"Of course. No problem. I'm not going to stop you from being a good friend," I said.

"Thank you so much. She'll be here in about an hour," Dinah informed.

What? Did I not deserve more advanced warning? Maybe I should have brushed my hair and put on something presentable, but I didn't. I just sat around waiting for Dinah's friend to arrive.

"Which friend is this?" I asked Dinah while sitting in the living room.

"Her name's Normani. We went to a performing arts high school together here in San Diego," she answered.

"How come you've never brought her by the house?" I asked.

"Let's just say that she has very high standards. You'll see," Dinah replied.

It wasn't long before I heard a large truck pull up in front of the house. I looked out the window to get a peek at this friend. She had pulled up in a pink Range Rover. Damn. If she sold that SUV, she could have had enough money to live off of for two years.

Stepping out of the vehicle, I saw a dark-skinned woman dressed to the nines. She had on a tight, blue dress; 4-inch heels; a diamond necklace and bracelet; big, hoop earrings; and a designer purse. No wonder why she couldn't afford her rent. I have to admit that she was sexy, but I could already tell that she wasn't my type personality-wise. She didn't seem to have her priorities in order.

Normani then opened up the door to the backseat of her SUV and started fiddling with a car seat. Oh, shit. Does she have a baby? Damn you, Dinah. You could have warned me. Never mind. It's just a Long-Haired Chihuahua. Who puts a dog in a car seat?

Normani scooped up her dog in one arm while carrying her bag in the other and strutted to the front door as her movers began unloading her stuff. I hoped she wasn't trying to move a whole house in here. We only had so much space.

Before she could knock, Dinah opened the door to greet her friend. "Hey, girl!"

"Hey, girl!" said Normani in return as the two hugged. "I still can't believe you moved into a mobile home. Your neighbors must have 12 fingers and 11 toes."

"It's a manufactured home," said Dinah. "It looks just like a regular house, doesn't it?"

"Couldn't they have manufactured you a backyard? There is nowhere for Coco to run and go potty. Now that I don't have a dog walker, I have to walk her myself. And, where is your garage? My car is too expensive to be exposed to the elements," Normani complained.