Alberts mistake 9

Felicy

In light of the events, I had totally forgotten about Albert. I sort of stood him up, when leaving with Severus at the end of the year ball.

Two weeks into the new school year, I was sitting by a tree in the shade. It was a rather warm, late summer day. I was on break, but Severus was on duty, unfortunately. I missed him, but I used the time to enjoy the solitude. It was often very loud in Hogwarts and busy and getting a short break from all of it, was reviving and calming at the same time.

After a while, I saw Albert approach. Slightly annoyed, possibly due to the fact, that I felt guilty towards him, I got up, wanting to face him standing, rather than sitting down. Since term had started, he had looked at me very meaningful and I was afraid he was angry, or similar. He came and stood by me. He looked uncomfortable, I felt the same.

„ How are you," he asked. 

„I am very well, thank you," I said and then added immediately. „I am really sorry Albert, for standing you up as I have done."

But he beckoned me to be quiet. „ All is well, I see what you are doing. You are being kind and caring as always, you have taken Severus under your wing, he sure can do with some kindness."

„ No," I started....but again he hushed me to be quiet. I felt the more uncomfortable. I wanted to tell him I was sorry, but also that I loved Severus, and that I was not taking him under my wing and then Albert approached me in a way I had not expected at all. 

„ I know you and I get on very well, and we think very much alike," he started, "I think we will make a good team." I could not believe it, but he knelt down and produced a small velvet jewelry box and with a sense of dread, I realized what he was intending to do.

"Marry me and make me the happiest man alive," he said. I felt incredibly sorry for him and at the same time I thought, how could he be so blind. It was in my opinion, very obvious that Severus and I were in love. It occurred to me that perhaps he was avoiding the obvious. I did not know. 

„Please get up," I said with a kind, careful voice. Albert got up, his face screwed up into a frightened mask. I think he knew what I was going to say. 

„ Albert, I like you very much, but as a friend. I do care for Severus, you are very right about that, but I am not taking care of him, I actually love him. I love him so much, that there will never be another." The last bit I had emphasized, because I did not want to leave any doubts or room for any hope. It was only fair that he knew. He looked at me more or less resigned.

Then I witnessed a curious look, almost hatred, in his face, as he looked over my shoulder. Without warning, he leaned forward and hugged me tightly. I managed to get out of his embrace, only with difficulty, fearing what I would see, if I looked over my shoulder. I somehow knew Severus was there and he had seen all of this and rightly so, when I turned around, I saw him standing there a short distance away and his face an expression of anger and hurt. He stared for a moment longer, then he turned and walked off.

„Severus", I shouted, I ran to try and catch up with him. 

„Get away from me," he snarled at me. "I do not need you and I do not want you." He apparated. I had no idea where he had gone to and even if I knew, he would not want me to be near him now. I sat down in the grass and cried.

For the first time, I felt at a loss, how would I remedy this unfortunate situation. I let the tears flow, I had been holding on for so long, all this time. I had been trying to stay strong for both of us and all this time I had made progress, but now. I was at a loss, I knew instantly he would not listen. He would put his wall up, right back to where I could not get over. I did not hear Albert approaching.