The past resurfaces Part 14

Felicy

As soon as we returned to Hogwarts, I moved in with Severus. The two weeks leading up to the students returning, we prepared foremost and also changed the previously private lodgings of Severus, into a space of unity. Not an easy task, as we were so very different. But slowly we managed to find compromises and our space became a home, we both appreciated.

It was on a Saturday and we were standing outside, talking to Hagrid when Minerva met us. "Severus, there is a Miss Fonder, who would like to see you, she is waiting for you in the entrance hall." Such where her news.

Knowing Severus as well as I did, I noticed the changes that were taking place. His face had gone paler, his expression haunted and his manner stiff. "Shall I prepare some tea," I asked him anxious for his sake. He did not immediately reply. " What...hm..yes, that would be lovely," he said absent-minded.

Severus

Nanny, what was she doing here? He had not seen her for so long. She was not to blame and she had been the best of the lot of them, but she was part of the past, the past he wished not to be confronted with. He sight. But now she was here and he had to face her. He reminded himself, that he was a grown man now and he was in control of his life and a good life that was too!

There she stood, his old Nanny, she was hunched over slightly. She must have gone rather old by now. Again he sight. Then he braced himself to face her and walked briskly towards her. She did not seem to recognize him at first, but when he got closer he saw her eyes widen. " Severus," she said, her face full of amazement: " You have become a very fine man!"

Yes, he thought I have, but no thanks to any of you. He forced himself to smile at her. She really had gone old, she looked fragile too. " Severus, I need to talk to you," she said. Severus was not at all sure if he wanted to hear, what she had to say, but he invited her to come in first, so they would not have to discuss whatever matter, in the entrance hall.
Once the arrived at his lodgings he wanted to get strait to the point, but Felicy warmly welcomed the old lady and offered tea. Severus introduced the two to each other, but for once he was glad when Felicy politely left them to get on with matters.

"Well, we should get to your concerns then," he asked her, as soon  as alone, his voice harder, then he had intended. She shifted uncomfortably:

" I know things have not been great for you growing up," she said nervously.

"That is an understatement," Severus replied to that with an now icy voice.

She seemed even more uncomfortable now.

"A few years after you left, your father..." Severus coughed. She looked at him nervously but also determined.

"Your father had a heart attack. He could not move or speak. Everybody left. Except me, I had my reasons to stay," she now looked away, "he has recovered partly, being able to talk again and move his upper body, but he has never walked since. Now he says he feels, he has not much longer to live. Although he never mentions you, I am convinced his heart would heal if you would come and see him."

Severus jumped up from where he had been sitting. "Do you have any idea what you are asking me to do," he snarled at her, " get out."
He got her cloak for her, holding it towards her, his face screwed up in anger. He could not exactly say, what he was feeling, but his emotions were so strong, he needed time to process them, as well as the information he had just received.

Before she left, she whispered,

"Please, think about it."He was amazed, that she would go to such lengths of helping his father when he had never been particularly friendly or attentive towards her.