Chapter 7

*Emma’s POV*

The next day, I was woken up by Margret. She gave me clothes (in the external link) and told we were leaving. After I changed, we already made our way outside to what I believe is called a car. As I made my way to the car, I saw a man across the street in another car staring at me. Something doesn’t feel right about him. He glanced at me again before driving down the street. Suddenly, I was pulled into the car still wondering who that man was and why he was looking at me.

30 Minutes Later….

I’m sitting at a table with Derrick and lots of papers. I read the very first line at the top of the page. It read: Fill in the correct answers in the bubbles provided. I shrugged my shoulders and began…

A,D,F,B,E,C,A,A,A,B,D,E,F,F,A,C.   After about 5 minutes of filling in bubbles, I finished. Suddenly, I heard Derrick say, “Slow down, girl. I haven’t finished grading the last 8.” Margret came over quickly. “You’re kidding. That was an hour-long test! How long did it take her 5 minutes?” Derrick sighed, “Yeah, and she got them all right.” I heard him mutter something but I couldn’t make it out. Margret marched to the phone and started pushing buttons. “Hello, Dr.Fields, please.

*Margret’s POV*

We put Emma under the scanner. I could tell she was beyond nervous. I put my hand on her shoulder and looked into her eyes. “Its alright, Emma. Its not gonna hurt you.” She nodded. I smiled and said, “Now try not to move.”

I walked back into the computer room. One of the guys cursed under his breath. I asked what was wrong. “The equipment’s screwing up. See this red area? That’s supposed to represent the active part of the brain.” I looked closely. I turned back to him. “Everywhere is red though.” He sighed and said, “You and I use maybe 7% of our brains. Einstein used 9% of his brain. Rupert here,” He pointed to his partner, “uses 2%.” Rupert rolled his eyes. “It means mechanical failure. You have to come back some other time.” I shook my head. “What if the machines right?” He shrugged his shoulders, “Hypothetically speaking, with this type of neural hyperactivity, she’d be prone to all sorts of seizures, strokes, and tumors. Maybe more.”

Later that night…

*Emma’s POV*

Margret tucked me in. “It sure has been a day hasn’t it?” She joked. “Good night, Emma.” I couldn’t help but smile at her. She and her family have been nothing but nice to me. I am very grateful for that. She smiled back and kissed my forehead. She slowly stood up and walked out the door. I laid there in bed, slightly uncomfortable, but still curious about that man. Who was he?