Chapter 6

*Derrick’s POV*

My mouth dropped. “Oh, sweet! She’s like that Indian from Cuckoo’s Nest!” I watched as she took a big sip of her juice. Sophie said, “Did she just learn to talk in one day?” She looked at my dad for an answer.

*Emma’s POV*

After Sophie spoke, I looked over at Joseph. He laughed, “No. Sophie, that’s impossible,” I took another sip. He shook his head and looked at Margret. “Right honey?” She ignored him and spoke to me. “Can you understand me, Emma? Go on, do it again.” I sat my cup on the table. “Mom, isn’t that how you talk to a dog?” Derrick interrupted. “Watch this.” He pushed her out of the way and stood in front of me. “Emma, speak!” I faced Margret and said something that I memorized from earlier. “I felt weird when Mike Suby put his hand down my pants because all I could think about was those warts on his hands.” Sophie’s mouth dropped and she looked at me in disbelief. Margret and Joseph looked at her with disappointment in their eyes but quickly turned back to me while Derrick laughed. “This is amazing.” Margret started. “Autism typically involves mimicry, but Emma isn’t emotionally withdrawn. Her behavior is fixated.” She grabbed my hand and smiled at me.

Joseph spoke up, “So, can she understand us or not?” “I can’t say. I’ve never dealt with anyone like her before.” “Suby!” Derrick yelled. “Nice one!” He turned and held his hand up to me. I started at his hand and looked at mine. “I cant wait to test her.” I heard Margret exclaim. I looked back at Derrick with a smile on my face.

*Margret POV*

I poured Joey a cup of coffee. “Why haven’t the police found anything?” “She’s full of surprises.” “Somebody has to be missing this kids!” I feel his eyes on me. “So, far no one’s filed a report.” He shook his head. “This whole thing is strange.” We got up and walked into the living room. I laughed, “Oh, ever stranger, she doesn’t have a belly button. I saw for myself. Emma’s stomach is totally smooth.” Joey sat next to me with his eyebrows forwarded. “How could that be?” He asked confused. I shrugged and simply answered. “She’s extraordinary.” “Margret you said just a few days.” “Well im not sending her back to that facility.”

“You are so wrapped up in this kid. She cant stay here forever.” Why is he so against her? But I had no choice but to slowly agree. No matter how much I didn’t want too. “Social Services promised to find a safe place for her on Monday.” I said looking away. “Monday?” “Monday.”