Chapter 11

Emma's POV

As I laid in the darkness of the bedroom that night, all I could here were the sounds of animals from outside and feel a cool breeze of wind coming in from the cracked window. I turned my head and looked at the clock. 1:22am. I turned again and looked at Derrick who was smiling and snuggling with his pillow. They called it sleep, a strange state of dark during which they did nothing…thought nothing…but make odd noise and sometime spoke. I looked at the clock again and it said 2:15am. What I don’t understand is how could they just lie there all night? There’s so much to learn and explore.

I hopped out of bed and slowly made my way down the stairs and into the kitchen. I opened a door that i’ve seen Margret open lots of times. I didn’t know where to begin. I grabbed the first jar I saw. I somehow managed to get it open. When I did, I stuck 2 fingers in the sticky stuff and put it in my mouth. It tastes…fruity (Grape Jelly). I sat the jar down and grabbed a dark bottle with an animal on it and I squeezed. It got on my finger and I put it in my mouth tasting it. It’s really thick and sweet. The color was really dark and sticky (Chocolate Syrup). Then I grabbed a container with stringy stuff in it (Pasta). I stuffed in my mouth, moaning with satisfaction.

Every taste and texture made my senses explode. Next, I picked up a can with a funny cup. I put it in my mouth but didn’t taste anything until I moved my head a certain way and suddenly my mouth was full with a creamy substance (Whipped Cream). After that I grabbed a jar that has some green things in it. They were small, round, and had a little red dot in the center of it (Olive). I grabbed a big white carton next it had about 12 white oval shaped things in it (Egg). I grabbed one and bit into it making it break and go everywhere. Gross! I spit it out and grabbed a long orange thing with grass on the top. I ate the grass. Not that bad. I grabbed a small silver can with liquid inside of it and started shaking it.  I stopped shaking and opened it, the liquid went flying everywhere. I couldn’t help but laugh at myself.

After I finished, I got this strange feeling in my belly. It wasn’t very pleasant either. I trotted out of the kitchen and into the family room. I looked around and stopped when I saw a bag on the couch. I looked closer and saw a little package hanging out the side. Grabbing the bag as carefully as I could, I examined it. I struck my hand inside and grabbed one of the little men and ate him. First sour than sweet (Sour Patch Kids). I smiled and picked out another. I walked over to the couch. When I sat down, the television came on. There were men, grunting and shouting. One of the guys threw his arm back and hit the other in the face and then kicked him. I jumped but carefully studied them.

Margret’s POV

Ugh! Why is Sophie’s alarm clock going off at this hour? As I got up, I clearly heard that it wasn’t Sophie’s clock. It was coming from downstairs. I quickly went to Joey and woke him up.

 “Joey? Joey hunny, there’s someone in the house.” He rolled over and looked at me and stopped letting me know he could hear the noise too. He quickly got up and told me to stay put. I shook my head and grabbed the baseball bat. He rolled his eyes at me and went out the door. As we made our way downstairs we heard the kids come out of their rooms. We didn’t even turn to tell them to go back in their rooms because their as stubborn as their mother.

When we got downstairs, Joey turned on the light only to see Emma. I looked at her shocked because she was copying Jackie Chan’s perfectly. She must have heard us because she turned but was in a fighting stance and said, “時間已經到了征服龍” (The time has come to conquer the dragon.) I looked at everyone else and saw that they had the same look as me. Complete shock. When I looked back at Emma she was smiling with that cute innocent smile on her face. This girl is just full of surprises.