Chapter 5

*Emma’s POV*

As Margret walked past me, she patted my back. I was beginning to sense that my very present was turning these people against each other. She opened Sophie’s door and folded her arms. “You and I are gonna have a talk.” Margret snapped. Sophie shot up and looked worried, “Oh no. Did something happen to Emma?” “Oh, you mean besides her going outside by herself!” She shouted and pointed to my feet. I glanced at them and they were very dirty. Sophie looked down and bit her lip. Margret sighed and said, “You can forget about David’s party.” She stormed out closing the door behind her.

Later that Day….

I followed Margret down the stairs into a room filled with buttons. This is awesome. I turned my head to her when she let go of my hand to greet a man. She wrapped her arms around his torso and kissed his neck. A smile suddenly appeared on his face. “Hi, honey. Something wrong with Sophie?” He asked turning to her. “She seemed upset.” “She’s just having a difficult time understand what responsibility means.” He noticed me observing. “Is this the, um..?” She interrupted him. “Emma, this is my husband, Joseph.” She looked at him. “Honey, this is Emma.” He smiles and sticks out his hand. All I could do is look at it. What am I suppose to do with his hand? He reached it out to me again, “Im happy to make your acquaintance.” He spoke slowly this time. I look back at the both of them. “Can she understand a single word Im saying?” He asked softly to Margret. “I don’t think so.” “Well, at least she doesn’t look dangerous.”

Just then something thick caught my attention. I looked down and saw it was coming from a black tool in a container. I went to touch it when someone pulled my arm back. I looked back and saw it was Joseph. “Watch it,” He says “Its hot. Ouch! Ow, ow, ow!” He shouted shaking his hand. He was clearly a superior communicator. I somehow understood everything he said and wondering why others chose to speak so ineffectively.

*Margret’s POV*

I jogged upstairs when I heard a knocking at the door. I didn’t even bother to see who is was but I wish I did. Mary invited herself in. Mary is our next door neighbor and is very protective of her only son and is very loud mouthed. She wasn’t always like this though. A few months ago, he husband was killed in a drive-by and ever since then she’s been alert and putting her nose in everybody’s business. “You know, this neighborhood isn’t zoned for half houses. Oh, good evening by the way!” She said wiping her feet and smiled with her son behind her. What is it Steven, Seth, Stefan! That’s his name! I blinked. “Excuse me?” She raised her eyebrow and said, “One of your challenged cases broke into my---““She didn’t break in, mom.” Mary raised her finger at him and continued, “Broke into my house this afternoon and snuck up on Stefan while he was alone.” She saw Emma come in and pulled Stefan closer to her like a puppy. “Who knows what could’ve happened if I hadn’t come home when I did.” I tried to be sincere. “Im so sorry, Mary. Sophie was responsible for Emma this afternoon.” I could see out the corner of my eye that Stefan and Emma were in their own worlds. Stefan had his eye on Emma, and Emma was looking down with rosy red cheeks. I mentally smile at them. “Margret, I would hate to make this into a police matter…” She stopped and looked back and forth between Emma and Stefan.

She smiled at me and headed to the door, “Come along, Stefan.” When he didn’t move, she grabbed his arm and pulled. “I’ll see you later.” Was all he could get out before he was gone. I looked back at Emma who was playing with her fingers.

2 Hours Later…

*Emma’s POV*

I grabbed my fork and put the food in my mouth. This is amazing. “Its not fair, dad.” Sophie whined. “I was in the next room. Its not like I like I left her alone with Michael Jackson.” I just stared at her and continued to eat my food. There are over 800,000 words in the English language. The eyes, however, speak a more precise code, through their narrowing, brow arches, dilations, blinking or the asymmetrical closure which I haven’t yet deciphered. I looked at Joseph then turned my attention to Sophie when she spoke, “Don’t you think this Miracle Worker trips getting out of hand?” Joseph slammed his hands on the table making all of us jump. “Cool it, guys. What did we say about giving your mom some altitude over the next few days?” I seemed to tune them out. I was suffering from thirst, but my language skills were relatively primitive, so I relied on phrases I memorized at the holding center. “Yo!” I shouted surprising everyone. I spoke again, “Let’s get some juice down here!” Derrick dropped his fork with his mouth wide open. Margret looked from me to Joseph. “Everyone taking stupid pills around here? Juice me!” No one said a word after that. I just held out my cup smiling.