Chapter 21: Phil

PHIL POV

I could feel the panic rise in my chest from the minute I woke up that morning. Jess was at her place and I couldn't hear anything from Dan's room. I put on my lion hat and hugged Toroto to my chest. I don't really know what I was scared of. I mean me and Jess have been together for a long time now, and I was positive I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her.

But what if she didn't feel she wanted to spend the rest of her life with me?

What then? 

Would proposing cause her to break up with me? I spent an hour just hugging Toroto in my bed until I heard Lia get up. Dan never got up early unless Lia was already up. I got changed and headed to the kitchen to get some breakfast. Lia had her hair tied up in a pony tail and was wearing one of Dan's shirts. She smiled at me as I made my way over to her. She pulled me into a hug.

"Big day, huh?" She smiled brightly at me, and then noticed my look of concern. "What's wrong?"

"Nerves, I guess." I mumbled shakily and sighed. "I hope she wants this too." 

"You only have to ask to find out." Lia smiled at me, and nodded to Dan's room. "Like with Dan, there are times where I just think 'why aren't we married yet?'" She giggled, and I smiled at her.

"You would want to marry him? You don't want to play the field for a few more years or anything?"

Lia frowned. "No, why? Wow Phil, I'm pregnant with Dan's child-"

"-Sorry, I didn't mean you...I'm worried Jess does."

"Why would she?"

"I don't know! She might?" I sighed, rubbing my face with my hand. Dan came walking out, yawning, and pecked Lia on her cheek. She blew up her cheeks in response and Dan chuckled before heading to the bathroom.

Lia pecked me on my cheek and hugged me again. "You'll be fine. Just don't worry. You love each other."

Which brings me to a few hours later, on my knees, longingly looking into the distance as Jess walked away from me. I stood up and ran after her, calling her name, but she was already gone.

I don't know what happened. Dinner was going perfectly fine, and I declared my love to her, saying that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her, and then I went down on one knee and out came the diamond ring. 

"Phil..." Jess stammered, panic in her eyes. "I...I can't do this." She then jumped up and left me with no answer. 

To say I was heartbroken...understatement. I walked home in the rain, which was probably a really bad idea, and then when I reached the apartment I saw Dan and Lia cuddling on the sofa and I shook my head at them before going into my room...where I burst into tears.

DAN POV.

Instantly I knew what happened as soon as Phil came home, early and was drenched with rain. The look on his face looked like he was about breaking point, and we heard him break down in his room a second later. Lia gave me a panicked look and pulled out her phone. I kissed Lia softly on the head before heading to Phil's room, where he was curled up on his bed, tears streaming down his face. He jumped up to me and pulled me into a tight hug, holding me like I was the only thing keeping him sane in that moment.

"She...she..." He hiccuped and I shushed him.

"It's okay. You'll be okay. I'm here for you." Right now I had to be his best friend. Phil's legs gave way and I lowered him to the floor, still in this hug. Yep. Slightly painful position I was in. 

"She left me." He uttered out, crying even harder. I looked to Lia who was standing in the doorway and she mouthed to me that Jess wasn't picking up. I shrugged at her and she spoke up.

"I'm ordering pizza or Chinese, which do you want, Phil?"

"I'm not hungry." Phil choked out, and Lia gave me a desperate look.

"Chinese." I said and Lia nodded before calling the Chinese place we usually ordered at. Phil had his head between his knees, hyperventilating, when the food came. I was in serious panic mode. Phil's never been this emotion about anything ever before! Lia entered the room and sat down next to Phil.

"Phil. Phil! Please stop crying."

"I can't help it."

"But Phil, you don't even know what happened. Maybe Jess just got scared. Maybe she's crying at home to Liam right now."

Phil wriggled out of my grasp and jumped into his bed. "I'd like to be alone for a while, thank you." 

I looked at Lia and she sighed. "Okay. But eat some food."

He shook his head. "Not hungry."

"Phil."

"Lia, Dan. Just go away." He hugged Toroto and I stood up, leaving the room and shutting the door behind me and Lia. Lia sighed as she got her food onto a plate and began eating. Suddenly I lost my appetite, so just sat on my laptop while Lia scoffed down the food.

"Aren't you eating?" She nodded to my share, and I shook my head, so she made herself welcome to my food too. I smirked.

"You do realise the eating for two is bullshit, right?"

Lia shook her head. "I'm hungry....do you think Phil will be okay?"

I shrugged. "Did she not pick up?"

"Straight to voicemail." She murmured, resting her head on my shoulder, and I sighed, shutting my eyes and resting my head against hers.

"If I ever asked you to marry me, what would you do?" 

"Is that you actually asking me? Because I'd tell you to try again in a more romantic setting." Lia giggled and I smiled at her.

"That's reassuring." I chuckled, hugging her tightly. "I don't ever want to lose you."

"I'll never let you go." Lia replied seriously, hugging me back.

Thank you for reading! Please vote!

Would you marry Dan or Phil? 

Tweet us at @zoeishere! Or follow for a daily giggle