20- Hungover

Maya's POV

I woke up in Uncle Ash's room with a pounding headache. My eyes burned from the light streaming through the window. I woke up Uncle Ash, and he carried me downstairs. I sat at the table while he made breakfast. Dad and Uncle Cal stomped down the stairs soon after.

"You have three seconds to explain yourself before I lose my shit!" Dad yelled.

"Not so loud," I winced.

Uncle Cal gave me some Advil and a glass of water.

"What did you do?" He asked quietly.

I stayed quiet. I barely remembered what happened the night before. And I wasn't too happy about talking to either of them after them being gone for over a month.

"Maya, answer the goddamn question!" Dad yelled, making me jump.

"I don't know what I did, okay? All I remember is that I was drunk and I threw a rock at a window," I said.

"You threw a brick," Uncle Cal said.

"Oops?" I shrugged my shoulders.

"Yeah, oops. I had to pay for the damage you caused. I can't believe you did that!" Dad said.

"I'm sorry. I just needed a break," I mumbled.

"A break from what?"

"Me," Zoe said and walked into the room. "It's my fault. She did this because of me."

"Don't flatter yourself," I told her.

"Maya!" Dad said.

"What?"

He sighed in frustration. I rolled my eyes.

"That Jacob kid's trouble. I don't want you hanging around him anymore," Dad said.

"You can't do that!" I yelled. "Jacob is my friend."

"I can do whatever I want. I'm your father! You will not be seeing him anymore outside of school. If I have to, I'll have you switch schools. Maybe a private tutor, so I can keep an eye on you."

"Dad-"

"Michael, let me handle this," Uncle Cal said and sat down across from me. "Maya, all this trouble started when that boy showed up. Am I right?" I nodded. "He's a bad influence. We don't want you getting hurt."

"You don't need to worry about me. I can take care of myself," I said.

"You're only sixteen. You can't do stuff like this," Uncle Cal asked.

I ran my hand through my short hair in frustration. Dad's eyes were glued to my wrist.

"You got a tattoo?" He raised his voice.

"Yes, I did. Three, actually."

"When?"

"When you were too busy to notice and too busy to care," I said and ran to my room.

I locked the door and sat on my beanbag chair. Loud footsteps thundered up the stairs, and Dad banged on the door.

"Maya, open this door!" He yelled. I stayed quiet and didn't move from my spot. "Maya Clifford, open the goddamn door!"

"My name is not Maya Clifford!" I yelled back.

Eventually, he stopped trying, and his footsteps stomped down the hall. I waited ten minutes before opening the door. I saw Uncle Ash standing outside so I let him in.

"You guys should've just left me in New York. You're better off without me," I told him.

"No, we're not. We were lost without you," he said.