21- Bullet Wounds

Thomas's POV

I watched Maya climb out of her window an hour before midnight. She was dressed in black from head to toe. I trailed behind her as she walked in the shadows. I knew she was going to see Jacob.

Everyone once in a while she would stop and look back as if she could feel me watching her. She waited a minute before she continued walking.

*~*

Eventually, we made it to the mall. She slipped through a hole in the chain link fence with ease. I followed her and hid behind a truck.

"Jacob?" She whispered.

"Hello, Maya. Nice to see you again," I heard him say.

He seemed to almost materialize out of the darkness. I watched his every move, ready to interfere if I had to.

"What do you need?" She asked.

"I wanted to give you something," he said.

He moved closer to Maya and went to give her what was in his hand but dropped it. She turned around to pick up and turned back. She froze at the sight in front of her.

Behind Jacob stood Zack, Andre, and Jay. The same three people who were there the night Jade died.

Maya's POV

They looked like a pack of wolves as they moved toward me in sync. My heart rate accelerated, my feet ready to send me running if I had to.

"Jacob, what's going on?" I asked, my voice wavering.

"You have no idea what you've done. You walk around acting like the world owes you something. You push aside the people who care about you when things get hard. You ruin everything!" He shouted. "You're the reason my father is in jail. The bullet that hit Nick was meant for you."

I gasped when I realized who he was talking about. The man who kidnapped me. Who murdered my parents and shot Nick?

"Your father is Dave," I said.

"That's right. He couldn't kill you. The police stopped him before he had the chance. Now I'm going to finish the job."

Jacob pulled a semi-automatic from the waistband of his jeans. My breath hitched when I saw it.

"Jacob, don't do this," I pleaded.

"Why shouldn't I? Because of you and your stupid family, I don't have one anymore!" He yelled.

"Jacob, please-"

"Shut up! This is on you, Maya. My father killed my mother and my sister. He failed to kill you, and I lost him. This is payback."

His fingers inched closer to the trigger as he pointed the gun at me.

"Don't do this. I'm sorry about what happened to your father. That wasn't my fault!" I cried.

"I'm not blaming you," he said in his smooth tone. "I'm avenging him."

"No!"

Someone ran in front of me as Jacob pulled the trigger. They fell to the floor, and more bullets were fired. Pain shot up my arm.

Jacob and his friends ran off, leaving us there. I turned the person over so I could see their face. My blood turned cold when I saw that it was Thomas. A red patch formed on the side of his stomach.

I reached for my phone and went to call an ambulance but remembered Dad took it.

"Damn it," I said.

I saw Thomas's phone lying on the ground next to him. I called 911 before I could even register what I was doing. My head was foggy, and I could feel my knees quivering.