35 pt 1- Everyone Else

Ashton's POV

I paced the hallway, debating on whether or not to call Sky. I hadn't spoken to her in months. There was a chance she wouldn't even pick up and a small chance that she would.

I finally pulled my phone out of my pocket and searched through my contacts until I found the right one.

"Please, answer me," I said quietly to myself as I waited.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Sky. It's me, Ashton."

I began tearing up again. It felt like forever since I heard her voice.

"Ashton? Not to be rude, but why are you calling me?" She asked.

"It's Maya. She—she has cancer. Michael was bringing her home from a doctor's appointment, and they got into an accident. She's in a coma," I told her.

I heard her gasp on the other end of the phone line. Sky had been close to Maya before Michael lost custody. She was just as shocked and distraught as we were.

"Oh, my god!" She exclaimed.

"Look, I know we're not together but I need someone to be here right now. You were the first person I thought of. Can you come to the hospital, please?"

I waited for her to respond. I silently begged her to say yes. I knew that at this moment only she could be there for me.

Sky's POV

I resented Ashton after we broke up. I deleted his number and never talked to him again. The way he acted after Maya left for New York... I hated it. I couldn't be around him.

I wanted to say no but I couldn't leave him like this. He sounded so helpless. I still cared for him.

"If you won't come for me, at least do it for Maya. I think she misses you. She won't know you're here, but it's the thought that counts, right?" Ashton said, nostalgia clinging from his vocal cords.

I sighed and felt my heart twist at his words. Maya was a special person, and I missed her. I never saw her after she came back to Australia. The only reason I knew was because it was all over the tabloids.

Regardless of the history between Ashton and me, I still loved him. And Maya's family needed me. I had to go.

"I'll be there in less than five minutes," I said.

I hung up and grabbed my keys, running outside to my car. I pulled out of the driveway and drove down the street.

*~*

The hospital was close to where I lived, so I got there in no time. Ashton was pacing near the front desk when I went inside.

His head shot up when the door opened. His eyes were red from crying, and his curly hair was a mess. The gauze was wrapped around his right hand, leaving his fingers exposed.

"Ashton," I said softly.

I ran over to him and threw my arms around his neck. He wrapped his arms around me and sobbed into my shoulder.

"It's okay. Relax, Ashton. It's alright," I said, trying to calm him down.

"No, it's not. She might never wake up. The cancer might kill her before she has a chance to," he cried.

I pulled away and put one hand on his shoulder. I pushed his hair away from his face.

"That's not the Ashton I know. My Ashton was always positive. He had hope," I said.

"Your Ashton?"

"Yeah, my Ashton. You were always happy before. I want you to be happy again."