Chapter 1 of Counting Raindrops

I stood up from my seat next to Jayce Wyatt, glaring down at him as Mr. Goodman; our History teacher, scolded me for dumping Jayce's books into the trash can . . . come on, I couldn't help it. It's not my fault that Jayce can't keep his annoying mouth shut. He irritates me on purpose so why can't I shut him up? He just sat there, smirking at me as I stood before him, ready to smack the smirk right off his face. Jayce's crystal blue eyes gleamed with mockery as he watched the teacher rebuke me, with amusement. "Ms. Chrome! Did you hear a word that I just said!?" Mr. Goodman bellowed out. Jayce's broad shoulders slightly bounced as he chuckled.

I turned towards the teacher and nodded with a sigh, "yes sir . . . I heard you."

He pointed at the door then. Mr. Goodman didn't seem to like me very much, it wasn't my fault though. Jayce made me out to be a bad student. I was being sent to detention almost every other day because of him. And it was always in Mr. Goodman's class, our first hour of the day. "Out! Now." I turned to pick my books up as I mocked him and rolled my eyes silently. He caught this and glared even harder, "you're lucky I don't suspend you right now."

"Isn't that up to the principal?" I asked uncaringly as I headed toward the classroom door. He scoffed, but didn't bother answering me.

I was finally out of the classroom when I heard Jayce's full hearted laugh bursting through the class. What a jerk!

I continued to think rude thoughts about Jayce as I made my way through the hallways to the detention room, at least it was quiet and away from Jayce. It surprised me that I never saw Jayce there when I was. Not that I was sent there very often, but enough that it shocked me that I never saw him. Stupid Jayce and his eagerness to get me in trouble.

I hate you so much Jayce, I wouldn't feel bad as to if you were to die . . .

"Why hello there, Kat. What brings you here this time?" Mrs. Jaques was the detention supervisor and one of my favorite teachers. She actually understood how Jayce was, and how bad of a kid he really was.

I sighed and sat down at one of the cold desks, "Jayce. I dumped his books into the trash can . . ." I wanted to laugh at what I did, but decided not to. It had been a funny sight to see; lighting up my day, for a second at least. Her green eyes were laughing and she shook her head, smiling.

"That's not something you hear everyday. Everyone is too scared to stand up to him . . . even like that. You're the only one and I think a lot of people admire you for that. Although I did expect you to do something more than throwing his books away. As bad as he annoys you I figured you'd slap him once or twice," I shrugged which caused her to laugh.

I smiled to myself, "I almost did." The reason I didn't smack him across his . . . quite nice face was because I was timid as to what he'd do. The guys who had stood up to him once ended up with a busted face, they didn't even have to touch him to provoke him, but because they were guys he didn't have to care if he hurt them. If there is any good to Jayce at all, it's the fact that he respects girls and doesn't beat on them even if they were to say the same thing as a guy would.

"Whose class do you even have at this time?" I told her and she nodded, "aha."