Uriah

Original chapter title: One Last Freaking Time

"Marlene, please just say something." I'm laying next to Marlene on her bed. She lays on her side, staring at the wall blankly. I brush her hair from her eyes.

"Please?"

She continues to ignore me, still staring at the wall.

"Dammit Marlene." I stand up and glare down at her. "I know you can hear me. I know something's wrong, but I can't do a goddamn thing to help you unless you tell me what the hell is wrong!" She seems completely unfazed by my outburst. It's as if she's both blind and deaf.

"Fine. You know what? I'm done. I'm sorry I can't help you, but I've tried, okay? You obviously don't want any help, so I'm done. Solve your own fucking problems." I shove my math binder into my backpack, throw it over my shoulder, and start for the door.

"You wouldn't understand." He voice is cracked and quiet. So quiet I can barely hear her.

I freeze in the doorway. "What wouldn't I understand?" I ask coldly, my head turned a little to look over my shoulder. I turn around and see her sitting up, patting the space beside her on the bed. I hesitate for a moment before dropping my things on the floor and sitting on the bed next to her. She grabs my hand and holds it tightly.

"I-I was there." She takes a deep breath and swallows hard, staring out the open door and into the dark hallway.

"What do you mean?" I ask quietly, my tone gentle. I tuck a lock of her hair behind her ear.

"Wh-when Al k-k-killed himself. I was there, Uri. I saw him do it!" Tears run down her face. Fuck, I hate seeing Marlene cry.

I want to comfort her, but I can only stare. "Why didn't you tell anyone?"

"He made me promise not to. I could've stopped him!" She collapses against my chest, and I hold her against me. She sobs into my chest, gripping my T-shirt tightly in her fist.

"It wasn't your fault." I tell her, pulling her into my lap and smoothing down her hair. "He did it himself."

"But I did nothing." she sobs. I have nothing to say to that, so I hold her tighter and let her cry. Eventually, she falls asleep in my arms. I slide her under her blankets and turn out the light. I kiss her forehead and brush back her hair gently. I pause in the doorway and turn around, facing her sleeping figure. "Good night, Marlene."