Cara

Original chapter title: Do I Get to Say Goodbye?

The phone call comes in the middle of the night. It wasn't what I had expected. Definitely not what I had hoped for. Not the 'your brother is fine and will be home soon' call.

It was the 'he'll never be home again' call.

The 'I'm sorry for your loss' call.

Apparently, there'd been something on the bullet. It gave him an infection and killed him an hour or so after Christina and I left the hospital. No one had known about it until it was too late. They say that he hadn't had any pain, that apparently it'd been a peaceful, easy death, you know? That he'd died in his sleep.

But they wouldn't know.

They weren't there when he died.

He was alone in that damn room.

I'm glad that Christina had decided to sleep over. This is not the news that you give over the phone.

"Oh no," she says, seeing my face. "Please tell me it's not true. Please tell me he's fine and he'll be back on his feet in a few days."

"It is true." I say quietly, holding back my tears. Struggling to. I should cry, right? My brother is dead.

Christina covers her mouth, horrified. Then we both start crying, mourning the loss of my brother and her boyfriend. We sit on my floor and cry for what feels like hours.

In a way, the tears are for Al as much as they are for Will, for the fact that we've now lost two of our closest friends and that we won't ever see them again.

It hurts. I'll never see my brother again. Why did it have to be him?