Marlene

Original chapter title: Dumb, Dumber, and Dumbest

Monday at school I avoid Uriah at all costs. Yeah, we've been friends since at least first grade, but Saturday embarrassed the hell out of me, to be truthful. Between my emotional ignorance or whatever you want to call it and my 'mental breakdown', I'm afraid of what he'll say to me.

God, he deserves someone better than me.

Someone like Shauna or Tris or Lynn or Christina- pretty, perfect, and totally not prone to mental breakdowns.

Someone who isn't a total bitch.

Surprisingly, Tris doesn't mind me hiding behind her half of the time we're in the halls. In fact, she finds it quite funny. I, however, would like to slap her for laughing. This is not funny people!

"So, are you and Uriah going to the Valentine's Day dance together?"

My views of Valentine's day are simple- some guy made it up to get more girls in his bed. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. "He hasn't asked me."

"You haven't given the poor guy a chance!"

"Yeah, well, I'm completely mortified after Saturday." Tris is the only one- besides Uriah and I- that knows the entire story of what happened on Saturday.

"Hell, I would be too."

"Not helping."

"I wasn't finished. You should still talk to him. He talked to you and pretty much took care of you for a month." Since when did Tris become a guidance counselor?

"You act like I've forgotten. And you know, that's exactly what you did with Four."

"Marlene," she sighs. "Stop being so difficult. Just talk to him. He's probably dying to know what's wrong." I glare at her. "Um, no pun intended."

"Then why doesn't he talk to me?"

"He's respecting your space." 

I narrow my eyes at her. "When did you two talk?"

"Gym." I narrow my eyes even more. "While you were at the nurse for the height and weight thing."

"Oh. Well that makes sense." She shrugs and ignores my "sassy" tone, heading for Science. Oh god, no. This class is the worst. We're always disecting something.

"Is it too early for me to puke?" I whisper.

"Mmhmm." She replies, pretending not to be amused even though she obviously is. She sits at the same tables as Four, right next to him.

"Screw you." I mutter as I walk by. She winks at me teasingly. I go to the back and sit alone at the empty table.

And I think we all know who's going walk through the door any minute now, notice that the only empty seat is the one that's next to me, and is going work with me for an hour or so with plenty  of time to talk to me. Great.

Note the sarcasm.