Marlene

Original chapter title: Dancin' Alone...or Not

The dance is pretty normal so far. No gunfights. No drama. No assholes attempting to jump my friend.

Well, that's what I can see from my seat on the floor...in a corner. Alone, of course, because how else would I spend this fine evening? Not like I have anything better to do.

No, really. I literally have nothing else to do.

A slow song starts to play, and Zeke spins Shauna in her wheelchair and moves it back and forth to the beat, as close to slow dancing as they can get. Neither of them seem to mind it, though. Four twirls Tris, making her laugh. He gives her a smile that would make most girl's knees weak.

A shadow blocks my vision. I slowly look up, already knowing who's eyes I'll be looking into and slightly dreading it. Sure enough, it's Uriah, rubbing the back of his neck and looking extremely nervous. "Do you, uh, want to dance?"

How can a girl refuse a nervous Uriah Pedrad?

Easy. She can't.

"Sure..." I stand up and brush off my jeans, even though it's obvious that there is no dirt on the black denim. He leads me out to the middle of the gym and carefully places his hands on my hips. I swear he intentionally places his index fingers under the hem of my lace T-shirt a little, but I'm not sure. I just know that the skin he touches heats up, which seriously aggravates me. How can I focus on detaching myself when he's doing that?

He pulls me so close that our chests are almost touching. Damn him. He knows exactly what he's doing and I hate him for it. "Why have you been avoiding me?" He murmurs, bending his head so that he says it in my ear.

Fuck. Well, honestly is the best policy, right.? "I was embarrassed." I admit, well aware of how close we are.

"About what?"

"You know what."

"It wasn't your fault."

"I could've tried to stop him. I could've tried and I didn't. I could've told him not to jump." I look at the floor to my right, away from him. I silently beg him to understand.

"And you would've felt ten times worse because you couldn't have convinced him not to do it."

"You weren't there, Uriah. You wouldn't understand." I pull away from him and start to walk out of the gym. He chases me out and grabs my arm, spinning me around and shoving me against the lockers. Making sure I can't get away from him.

"You're right. I wouldn't understand. So help me, Marlene. I want to understand, and I want to help you. I want my best friend back." He's almost begging me now, something he never does. Uriah might get nervous and he might get jealous and scared, but he never, and I truly mean never, begs for anything. "Please."

"I-"

"If you can't do that, then at least promise me that you'll try to forget. I know you can do it."

I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. He believes in me. "Okay," I nod. "I promise." he grins at me before all but smashing his mouth against mine.