Chapter 5

Eve

After talking with Charles, yes I found out his name, but that was all that he told me, which I found odd, I mean he has his rights and all but still. Anyways I called a cab, and we spent like half an hour driving around in what felt like circles. "Uh, how far till we get there?" I asked leaning towards the driver from the back seat. "We're here" he replied roughly nodding towards a large house up ahead.

"Oh" I said sitting back into place as he drove through the white large metallic fence that automatically opens up. The house was stunning, with a beautiful cream color. Since it was dark out I could barely make out the people coming out of the house towards us.
The lady,who I thought to be his mom comes towards me and looks inside the taxi. She sees Charles slumped in the backseat with an angry look on his face. He almost looked depressed. Poor guy has been through a lot.

"I'll go call Frank," says the lady running back inside to get this frank guy. She comes back out with a tall middle aged man with a bold head and dark eyes. "He's in there" she says pointing towards the cab.

Both the cabbie and frank help get him out and on to his wheelchair. After that they all just casually walk inside, and not knowing what to do I just followed.

Once inside I almost drooled at the sight of the interior of the house, it was almost like a palace. Pfft, he may be a supposedly rich boy, but he lives nowhere near a palace. Only the king and the queen and their two sons live in a palace, everyone else lives in crappy villas, apart from this guy.
I've never seen the two princes, I've had a glimpse of the king and queen during some sort of ceremony I obviously didn't care about.

"Sorry who are you again?" Says the lady bringing me back to my senses.
"Huh? Oh um... I'm Eve, I volunteer down at the hospital..."
"Where did you find him" she says cutting me off . "I found him down at the beach, he's been through a lot, he needs to rest"
She nods her head and looks down at Charles for a while.

I couldn't help my curiosity; "sorry ma'am, but are you his mother?"
She gives a small chuckle and shakes her head no. "This is his guest house, I'm in charge here. That's his driver, Frank and that's my daughter Anna. She points to a girl about 15 that just entered the room. She had pretty features. She almost looked like a doll, just almost, with her perky nose and full lips. I giggled nervously and lightly said hi to the two.

The girl and her mom take away Charles and frank goes to do his own thing. I'm left alone now. I check the phone and its 8:30. My dad was not an option for calling so I tried calling my mom instead. If she picks up that is. Before I have a chance to, the lady walks back out and says, "you can stay the night, it is a guesthouse"
"Uh yeah, just have to check with my mom." She nods and heads off.
I dialed in my mom's number and it went straight to voicemail. I tried again, same thing. One thing I hated about calling my mom. I tried several more times, but no answer. I left it at that and sent her a message instead.

She comes back a few minutes later, "you staying over?"
"Yes"
"Follow me" she said heading up the stairs.

______________________

It's now morning and I know most people would usually say I slept like a baby when they get to sleep in a gorgeous house with nice bedding, but I didn't, not that the bed wasn't comfortable, I just couldn't sleep. The whole beach incident kept running through my head, I mean its not my place of concern but, I guess I just feel bad for him.

I'm now sitting on the verandah, trying to call my mom again, and same as last night she's not picking up. She hasn't even read the message I left her. Wonder what she's up to now.

Anna comes out from the back pushing a very unhappy Charles. She sets him right in front of the garden, locks the wheels and walks back towards the house.

The guy looked so hopeless I felt pity towards him. I found myself walking to him, and before I could turn back, the words began spilling out of my mouth, as if I had no control of myself.
"You have to let it go," did I just really say that?
"You have to get past it," why can't I stop talking.
I crossed my arms over my chest awkwardly.
"You know, life throws lots of barriers at us, but getting past them is what makes us stronger," I said, crouching down to face him.
He tilts his head towards me and I don't know if I was hallucinating or not, but I think I saw him smile for just a mere second.