Chapter 20

Charles

"That is also why I came here after Emma left me." I look into her eyes and I see this pain and misery inside them. "I'm sorry."
She furrows her eyebrows. "What for?"
"Everything."
She waves her hands about and says, "ohh, you're my baby, the only one I have left. No matter what happens, you never have to be sorry."
I swallow the lump in my throat and smile weakly at her.

"Mum, please don't go back to that palace."
She shakes her head no. "You know the  tradition Charles. It's not possible. I am not allowed to leave that palace until after a year."
"And who made up such a stupid..."
"Charles...please, don't push it."
I'm angry now. She has every right to leave that hell hole if she wanted to.
"Look at you Mum! You're suffering in that place, I can tell. OK so yes you're right, but tradition is made for men not men made for tradition. Please mum! We only have each other, you know that. I can't loose you too..."
She cuts me off, "stop it Charles. I don't have a say in this..."
"Says who!"
She looks around nervously, "Charles..."
"Mum..." I try my best to look her in the eyes but she kept looking around. Something was definitely bothering her, but I brushed it for now until I can convince her to stay.

"Please let me take care of you in my own little way." I finally catch her gaze. "Stay with me mum please?!"
She stares deep into my eyes before she let's out a sigh, a sigh that tells me I've won her over.

_______________________________

Later that day Eve comes into my room with a neat suite in her grasp. She tells me she'll send someone in to dress me and walks out without another word. Now I was really curious, but also anxious. About an hour later when I was well dressed someone knocks at the door. "It's me, Eve. Close your eyes."
I was very unsure of this but I did it anyways. "Okay."
"Are they closed tight?"
I laugh lightly, "yes they are..."
"OK I'm coming in, no peeking! Promise?"
"Promise."
She opens the door and and I can feel her walking up towards me. Then something, a  fabric material was being wrapped around my eyes.

"Hey, what are you..."
"Relax! It's a surprise. No peeking."
"Oh really, I was just gonna lift up the blindfold just a little," I respond sarcastically.
"Haha, very funny," she says pushing me out the room.

As we near the living room I can hear murmurs. She unties my blind fold and I slowly open my eyes ready to embrace whatever it is. "Happy Birthday Charles!" Shouts out various voices.

I was taken aback. My birthday? Amongst everything that has been happening I completely forgot about my own birthday. But Eve remembered. Or maybe my mum told her? Either way, I was grateful that they cared.
In the room standing with grins plastered across their faces were my mum, Barbara and Anna, Maya and even my former driver David.

They all start singing. "Happy birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you..." I zoned out throughout the rest of the song. I couldn't stop thinking if Eve actually did all this, for me.

The sound of clapping brings me back. They all just stand there staring at me, waiting for me to show some sort of gratitude.
"Well! What can I say..." And I really was  speechless. come to think of it, I've never actually had a birthday party before . My parents always pushed me to have one but I was never up for it. Instead I'll go out with Emma...
I was grateful when my thoughts were interrupted by a pat on my shoulder.
"Oh, sorry, I'm just speechless. Thank you guys. Really!"
"No need to thank us Charles, we felt like you needed this," Maya said from across the room.
She said "we," does that mean Eve probably didn't even know it was my birthday? Why do I care anyways, it's no big deal. I mean I'm positive I've mentioned it to her before but maybe she forgot? I mean I forgot,especially with my head wrapped around all other things.