The Game- Chapter 4

Sophie's POV

"Mackenzie, I need your help!" I said, bursting into her room. Normally, I would never ask my sister for help, but I was in desperate need, and she was my last hope. 

"What is it?" She asked, turning around in her chair. 

"My date with Greyson is in an hour, and I have nothing to wear!" I complained, sitting down on her bed. "Will you help me pick out an outfit?"

She grinned. "Oh god Soph, sometimes you're hopeless. Of course I'll help, come on." We went to my room, and within a minute, Mackenzie had managed to pull an outfit from my closet. She picked out a skirt, a nice top, flats, and a purse. "It's not too casual, and it's not too fancy."

I hugged her tightly. "Oh my god, thank you. You're a lifesaver."

She grinned, and left my room. "Have fun!"

I got dressed quickly, and finished getting ready with only ten minutes to spare. Where should I wait for him? Did I want mom talking to him? Um, no. I should just wait on the porch, so she won't be able to talk to him. 

I went outside and sat down on the porch seat, looking at the sidewalk anxiously. When we he show up? Relax, Sophie! It's not even seven yet. The smart voice inside my head told me. I sighed with relief. I was overreacting, Greyson wasn't late yet. 

At five past seven, I was still calm. It was only five minutes, that wasn't a big deal. Fifteen minutes late. Then twenty, thiry, fourty five... the number kept growing until I finally gave up after an hour. What was he doing that he forgot about our date?

Maybe I should go see what he's doing. Without thinking about it anymore, I got up and walked over to Greyson's house. He only lived a few streets away, it wasn't a long walk. When I got there, the house was lit up brightly, which meant he was probably home. Should I go ring the doorbell? There was another car in the driveway, besides his family's car. Who's was it?

My question was answered when I heard laughter behind me, and I ducked into the bushes. I held my breath, waiting. My breath hitched in my throat as the two people came into sight. Greyson and Leighton. 

"Are you sure you don't want me to drive you home?" Greyson asked her, stopping in the driveway. 

Leighton smiled at him, showing off her Crest 3D Stripes whitened teeth. "No, I told my mom to pick me up here, at your house. Look, she's already here."

"Well, I guess this is goodbye. I had a really fun time tonight, Leighton." Greyson said. By this point, I was shaking with fury. Leighton had beaten me at everything, and she'd finally taken the one thing that mattered to me most: Greyson. 

"I had a good time too, Greyson." Leighton said. That was fine with me. What wasn't fine was that she leaned in and kissed him. What made it even worse was that he was kissing her back. 

With a sob, I got out of the bushes and ran down the street. I hope Greyson hadn't seen me. When I felt a sharp tug on my wrist, I knew I'd been caught. Turning around, Greyson came into my view. "Sophie, are you okay?"

"Like you would even care." I snapped. "I guess I was just second best, and obviously Leighton is your first choice."

"What are you talking about?" He asked. 

I completely lost it, and slapped him. "What's wrong with you, Greyson? Do you even- you know what? Screw you. I'm done with you."

"Sophie, what did I do?" He asked. I could barely hear him, I was already running down the street into the dark.