The Game- Prologue

The chilly night air whipped the flaps on her hat against her face. Her cheeks were pink from the cold air, not that you could see, since it was pitch black. Her red hair moved with every step she took. She walked briskly across the street, avoiding the curious gaze of people as she hurried home. What was that noise?

She paused for a minute, and listened. Footsteps. She whirled around, but nobody was there. 

She sighed. Silly Karen, she thought to herself. Stop imagining things. Just get home. 

The girl scrambled across the street. She noticed they were doing construction on the park. That's good. That park was a terrible place for kids. Recently, a kid fell off the seesaw into the lake and drowned. They're probably making it safer for kids now. 

A big wrecking ball was tearing down everything. Gosh, wouldn't want to get in the way of that thing!

She walked quickly across the street. Only a few more blocks away. Leaves on the ground crunched a few feet away from her. Karen turned around, but again, there was no one. 

I'm going insane, She thought. It's just an animal, Karen, stop freaking yourself out! You've been reading too much Stephen King.

Karen felt someone tap her shoulder. "I'm really sorry about this-"

"Yo, lady, watch out!" A construction guy yelled to her. 

Karen looked up just in time to see a huge wrecking ball hit her, and crush every one of her bones. She didn't even have time to scream before the ball knocked her into the lake. 

She was dead before she hit the water.  

 ****

"Nice one." The person high-fived me. They were in the drivers seat of the car, which had just pulled up beside me. I climbed in and shut the door.

I glared at them. "Oh shut up. I didn't see the wrecking ball coming."

"I'm just glad it didn't hit you. I'm really glad you're okay." The person pressed their lips against my forehead. I shivered at the touch of their lips. Cold, unfamiliar.

"Let's go find someone else." I urged. "I need to kill tonight. I've been waiting years, it's been killing me."

"Alright, but I have to be home by ten. Hurry up." The person checked their watch. "It's already nine thirty."

"Well, I just found a group of people. They look stupid." I said, pointing them out to the other person. It was a group of three blonde, giggling girls. They would be easy targets. They deserved it though. They were being total sluts, with their short skirts and revealing shirts.

The other person snickered. "Sure, why not?"

"Why do we always get the people in cars?" I wondered. 

My partner smirked. "Hey, you pick them."

I opened my window, and stuck my neck out. Aiming my gun, I fired, and their tire burst. "Yes!" I whispered, high-fiving my friend. 

"Erick, what just happened?" The first girl asked, panicked. 

"Chill out, Marissa." Erick said. "We just have a flat tire. We probably rolled over something sharp which busted the tire. It's fine, I'll go change it now."

The guy called Erick stepped out of the car, and opened the trunk. You could see the girl called Marissa visibly relax. 

"Marissa, seriously, when are you going to tell him?" One girl asked her, wiggling her eyebrows.