The Game- Chapter 17

Mackenzie's POV

This time, I was positive that it was Susie's arm in my hand. I'd double checked to make sure. The thought of me holding a murderer's arm... it scared me to death. All the Bees were huddled in a corner, not talking much. We were mostly absorbed in our own thoughts.

"Oh god, Mackenzie. You must've been terrified. That must've been awful, holding their hand... I can't imagine it." Beverly said, sounding horrified.

I gulped and nodded. Right now, I didn't really want to talk about it. 

Susie gasped. "Mackenzie, what happened to your arm?" I looked down at my arm, which was now red. Whoever had been holding my arm, possibly the murderer, had gripped my arm too hard this time. 

"It was whoever was holding my arm. They twisted it behind my back, and covered my mouth so I couldn't make a sound. The person was dragging me somewhere, I think it might've been the exit, but then they suddenly just released me." I said, and my friends responded with hugs.

The vice principal entered the room. "Everyone, the... mess has been cleared away, and you may all go home now. The school will be searched, and we will contact your families with further information."

Everyone was being pushed out of the gym, and I grabbed onto Susie's hand. There was no way I would let go of her now. The killer might still be here. I wasn't going to go outside alone. Slowly, we all made our way to the cars, which had luckily been parked next to eachother. 

"Garrett?" I called out. When there was no answer, a wave of fear crashed over me. I hadn't even noticed tears were pouring down my face until Beverly wiped them away. Garrett could be anywhere, he could be inside, or he could've gotten kidnapped... and then I would have to go home alone.

Then he was there, with his arms wrapped around my waist. I put my arms around him and buried my face into his chest. "I'm scared."

"I know, I am too." Garrett said, his voice wavering. "Let's get you home, Mackenzie."

I hugged all of my friends goodbye, and then Garrett and I climbed into our limo and we were on the way home. Neither of us felt like talking, I think both of us were still processing what had happened. I was still sobbing. 

Angela, the head cheerleader, a girl that used to be my friend, a girl I know, had just been murdered tonight. I was holding hands with the killer. I could be the one dead right now. 

This thought made me scream, and Garrett jumped. "What is it?"

"Nothing, it's just... oh Garrett, I could've easily been the one that got killed tonight." I crawled over to him, continuing to cry. 

"Sh, it's okay, babe, you're safe now, everything's fine. Just close your eyes and we'll be at your house soon." I felt a little better since he called me babe. 

I cuddled up to Garrett and put my head in the crook of his neck, drifting off to sleep. 

****

"Mackenzie, wake up." Garrett shook me gently. I turned over and opened one eye, groaning. 

"What?" I yawned. Then I gasped, and sat straight up, clutching his hand. I had just remembered everything that happened last night. We were alone in the car, it was dark, and I was scared to death. 

If I don't get murdered tonight, I swear I'll die from a heart attack. 

"We're at your house." He said. 

Then I noticed the driver, and remembered we were in a limo, and not really alone. Garrett pushed open the door, and stepped out first. He stood up and held his hand out for me, which I grabbed. Slowly, we made our way up to my door in the dark, slowly dying of fear.