Chapter 18: Falling Slowly

Sometimes the person you fall for
isn't ready to catch you.

_______________________

"Oh I'm so excited!" Mel cried dropping her million of bags on the floor of my room as I opened the door.

"I've never been this excited before but maybe it's because I have a boyfriend to take to one of these dances. Isn't that wonderful?" She turned to me her eyes widen with excitement.

"Yeah, it's great. Mel." I replied sitting in my rolling chair. Forcing my eyes not to wander to my French doors. He isn't in their any way. He should be practicing with the football team.

"And I think your going to like your costume." She said tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear, as she bent down to grab them.

"Luke is being a knight, and I'm a princess." She declared pulling out a light, blue, very sparkly ball gown. She held it up and I swear it could of blinded me if put under direct light.

"Oh, and I got a tiara." She placed the plastic crown upon her head, smiling brightly.

"Looks great." I replied.

She frowned.

"You look sad." She said dropping the outfit and falling onto my bed still looking at me with a concerned expression.

"I'm fine, Mel. I promise."

"Pinky promise." She said holding out her pinky. "That nothing really is bothering you and if there is you will tell me?"

I nodded wrapping my pinky around hers. Except for some thing was bothering me. I was actually excited for the party except for I wished that Asher and I could do something crazy. But we can't we have to go back to being strangers for Caleb's sake. If I told Mel that she would think I'm crazy. Because I had talked so lowly about Asher before.

"I know what will make you happy." She smiled reaching down into the bag and pulling out a long white dress. It was actually pretty. With jewels around the waist making a little strip. It was strapless and tight at the top flowing into a nice long bottom.

I ran my hand down the fabric, feeling the smooth silk.

"What am I gonna be?" I asked.

She held up a halo and I knew exactly.

An angel.

But man, am I far from it.

"What about Caleb?"

Her smile grew as she pulled out red clothes, horns, and a pointy tail.

"Of course." I said folding my arms over my chest.

"Get it your the angel his the devil."

I started at her blankly.

"I thought it was pretty funny." She mumbled putting it back in its bag.

"His never gonna wear that." I responded.

"And whys that?" She huffed.

"He hates the color red."

She rolled her eyes.

"Well did he want to wear the dress and you be the devil?"

"I bet he would."

She smiled nodding.

"Yeah, he would but that's not an option." She said pointing a accusing finger at me.