Chapter 22: The Moment I Knew

Sometimes you just gotta be your own hero and save your own little heart. Because sometimes,
the people you can't image living without
can actually live without you.

______________________

"Another T-shirt." Kyle sighed as he threw the gift in the pile.

"More lotion." I said tossing it behind me.

"Some jewelry."

"Another shirt."

"What are you going to do with all this stuff?" Kyle asked reaching for another present.

I shrugged. "I don't know give it away, wear it."

"Some people have bad taste." Kyle said holding up a shirt. It was covered in red fringe.

"You should wear this to school." He said shaking it so the fringe moved.

"No, I'll give it to that girl down the street." I said reaching over and grabbing it from him.

"The Young's?"

I nodded. "They have 5 girls I'm sure they could use this stuff."

He opened his mouth to say something but was cut off by the house phone. I shot up wrapping paper fell from my lap, spinning on my heel I darted to the kitchen. My bare feet were cold on the hardwood floor. I reached the phone and quickly picked it up.

"Hello?" I said almost out of breath.

"Reagan, it's Cole."

I sighed, I don't know what I was excepting. For Asher to call and tell me some stupid excuse and I'd believe him?

"Hey Cole." I said not quite sure what to say to him.

"Reg, I'm sorry I didn't realize it until I left the house that I really was being more of a dad than a brother too you. Now your 18 an adult. No one has control over you not even mom." He chuckled.

"I'm in L.A. with mom. And I'm seriously considering taking over the portion of the company."

That was receiving to hear.

"Thanks, Cole you don't know how much that means to me." I sighed leaning against the wall behind me.

"Ya I heard about Colter." He chuckled. "Asher sure gave him a piece of his mind."

I wanted to smile, even laugh at that. But hearing Asher's name only brought tears to my eyes.

"Anyway." Cole continued on after a movement of silence. "I called to tell you that and wish you and Charlie a happy birthday."

"Thanks, Cole." I said quietly.

"Are you alright, Reg?" He asked since he has done most of the talking in this call.

"Just tired from the party." I sighed.

"Oh, okay well then I'll let you go."

"Alright, bye Cole."

Staring at it for a second longer. I wanted so badly for it to ring and for Asher to tell me why he didn't come. He doesn't even really like you. It was a dare. My thoughts came through strong and a stray tear rolled down my cheek. I heard footsteps and turned to see Kyle walking in. He gave me a small smile and held his hands out. I ran into him letting more tears fall.