Chapter 26: You

Chapter 26: You

Stop asking me to trust you
when I'm still coughing up water
from the last time you
let me drown

____________________

"Just take deep breaths." Melanie said as she tried to calm my nerves.

"Kyle and I are gonna go find seats, good luck Reagan." Caleb said giving me a side hug before turning to head out. Kyle gave me a quick hug also and followed Caleb out of the back rooms.

"You got this, there is nothing to worry about." Mel continued to calm me down.

"I know it's just." I sighed.

I can't tell her I'm afraid of Antonio's plan. I have a gut feeling something is going to go wrong. And I really don't want Asher to get hurt. He hasn't called me to make sure we are still doing it or anything. It just doesn't seem right but a part of me felt like I needed to do this.

The teacher over the talent show I haven't even bother to learn her name, started to talk and announce the first person. I was third.

I gripped my guitar tightly, the one Asher had given me.

"You think Asher will be here?" I asked randomly.

Mel's eyes soften.

"I've seen him and some guy I don't really know." She replied.

"Adrian probably." I said. She just nodded putting some more mascara on me.

"I think I'm good Mel." I laughed.

"Just one more stroke." She replied.

"You know you need to get ready too." I said.

"Eh, I'm sure Sierra is handling it fine without me."

"Go." I said giving her a light push.

"Alright, alright." She smiled laughing as she turned to head down to where the cheerleaders where gathering for there routine they where doing.

I started to pace back and forth running through the song in my head to give me a little bit of confidence.

Pretty soon some student I think his name is Tommy was ushering me to the stage.

"Good luck, Reagan!" I heard Sierra yell after me and that about left me frozen in the middle of the stage because her mood swing scares me more than anything. Maybe Charlie really changed her, or maybe not I don't know.

I looked out to the crowd but the lights where so bright I couldn't even see anyone therefore I couldn't see whether Asher was here or not and I really hope he was.

I took a deep breath placing my fingers on the being chord and once I strummed the first note I knew I would be alright as my mind started to play the song I've practiced for hours perfecting.

You should've been there,
Should've burst through the door,
With that 'baby I'm right here' smile,
And it would've felt like,
A million little shining stars had just aligned,
And I would've been so happy.

Christmas lights glisten,
I've got my eye on the door,
Just waiting for you to walk in,
But the time is ticking,
People ask me how I've been
As I comb back through my memory,
How you said you'd be here,
You said you'd be here.

And it was like slow motion,
Standing there in my party dress,
In red lipstick,
With no one to impress,
And they're all laughing,
As I'm looking around the room,
But there's one thing missing,
And that was the moment I knew.