○ 3.6 :: Fake ○

Dedicated to llamasandfrenchfries bc both those things are extremely important and also I love your comments so

*

"So..." Anne said, breaking the comfortable silence. We were currently sorting out our inventory and working out how many books we'd sold - a bi-monthly responsibility. I stayed silent and typed in another number, knowing exactly what she was going to ask about before she opened her mouth. "You and Harry?"

"We aren't together," I replied automatically, not taking my eyes off of the screen.

"Really?" Anne asked, sounding extremely disappointed.

I looked up at her, fighting the urge to laugh at how genuinely upset she seemed that Harry and I weren't a thing. "We're just friends, Anne. Nothing more."

"But you guys are so in love," she whined. "Didn't I hear Harry say he loves you?"

"Yes, but we're not in love," I disagreed, putting the laptop aside. "I mean, I love him, but I'm not in love with him."

"But you like him," she clarified.

"Yes."

Anne's features twisted in exasperation as she exhaled in disbelief. "So what's the problem?"

I rolled my eyes and pulled the laptop back onto my lap. "Relationships require your feelings to be returned, remember?"

"Do you honestly believe that he doesn't fancy you?"

It was a genuine question, but I still gave her a look that clearly said: 'what do you think?'

Her eyes widened. "God," she muttered. "I can see the way he looks at you - even with those bloody sunglasses on."

"We're just friends," I repeated. "Friends."

"I need to give my son a good talking to when he gets back," Anne huffed as she rose to her feet. I shot her a smile when she collected our empty mugs, sending a small shake of my head at her as she retreated to the back room. I had missed drinking hot chocolate every day, even if I would probably eventually have to roll everywhere. Of course, Anne never took no for an answer. If only my real mother were anything like her.

Just then, my phone buzzed in my pocket, making me jump. I took it out and checked the screen, and I couldn't deny that my heart leapt a little in my chest when I read the words Gangster McShades on the screen.

I'm bored, he'd written, with a little sad face emoticon to finish. I bit my lip, and smiled down at the two words on the screen. Who knew something so little could have such an effect on me? The thought made me wonder if Anne was right. Was I in love with Harry?

It's been a month and a half, idiot - half of which was spent with him either ignoring or avoiding you.

My subconscious right, honestly; it was way too early to be in love. I pushed away the ridiculous thought.

What do you want me to do about it? I replied, only picking up on the subtle suggestiveness after I'd hit 'send'. Would he pick up on it? Would he take it the wrong way?

I can think of a few things ;)

I rolled my eyes - what else had I been expecting? I decided to humour him.

I'm going to need you be a little more specific

Entertain me ;)