#10

"Come on Lani, we have a lot to talk about." Anna smiled as she took my daughters hand and escorted her to the beach. I stood on the patio and watched them as they walked off down the beach. 

"Hey Micky!" Mike called out behind me.

Slowly I turned around. A blush had crept onto my face.

"Hey, Mike." I whispered.

"I told you she wouldn't let you down." Mike joined me.

"Yeah. You did." I sighed. "And I'm sorry for getting so angry. It's just that I trusted you. You should have just told me." 

"But then you wouldn't have agreed to meet with her." Mike caught me. 

"That's true." I smiled. "So maybe I should be thanking you for lying."

Mike nodded. "That sounds good." 

I laughed and punched his shoulder. Mike pretended to be hurt by it, but his laughing gave him away. 

He and I stood out on the patio talking for a few minutes before deciding to head back inside so I could start supper. 

"Hey Mick! What are we eating?" Davy inquired from the bar. 

I was decked out in an apron and chef's hat. 

"We are having fettuccine Alfredo!" I announced in a fake Italian accent as I dumped the noodles into the bubbling water.

"But, Micky, don't you need Alfredo sauce for that?" Davy inquired.

I snapped in disappointment. "Yes you do David. Too bad I don't have the sauce that is sitting right in front of you on the counter." I said with sarcasm. 

David looked down and noticed a jar of Prego sauce on the bar in front of him. "Oh!" He chuckled nervously and picked up the jar. 

I rolled my eyes in amusement as I took the jar from him. 

I heated the sauce in another pan on the stove.

"Can I help?" Peter asked.

I handed him a spoon without looking at him and motioned for him to stir the sauce. Delicious smells of Italian cuisine wafted through the air. Soon all the residence of the flat were gathering into the kitchen. Playing volleyball had made us all hungry.

"Something smells amazing!" Lani trotted into the kitchen and joined Davy at the bar. 

"Your daddy is cooking Alfredo!" Peter said with joy. 

"Ooo!" Lani sighed as she closed her eyes to take in the smell better. 

"Micky, I didn't know you could cook!" Anna cheered. 

"Really?" I said. "Cooking is my main hobby!" I laughed.

"I'm certainly glad it is!" Chelsea sighed from the table. "Your food is my reason for living!" 

Davy turned and gave her adorable puppy eyes and a pouting frown. "What about me?" He asked.

"Well if I didn't have you I mean." She covered her mistake with a smile.

Davy smiled back at her which wasn't really a good idea because neither of them would look away from the other. Lani was the only one who noticed. She waved her hands in Davy's face and his gaze fluttered away from his fiancee. 

Everyone laughed as they realized what had happened. 

"You guys are just jealous!" Davy countered.

"Yeah right!" Mike laughed. "I'm already married, man." He hugged Phyllis to his side. 

"Not you!" Davy chuckled. "But the other guys!" 

"I'm not jealous." Peter said seriously. 

"You're not?" Marshie asked. I couldn't tell if she was really surprised by his answer or not. But everyone became serious as we looked to Peter for an answer. 

"No I'm not jealous." He repeated himself. Marshie dropped her gaze and stepped a short ways away from Pete. The room became awkward as we tried to change the subject. 

"Hey, Mick, how much longer?" Anna pipped up. 

"It's just about finished." I smiled. "You can all get a plate ans line up. By then it will be done."

"Alright!" Christian cheered. He ran into the kitchen and grabbed a stack of plates from the cabinet. He handed them out to each person in a hurry. When they received a plate the person would get in line. 

I added the sauce to the noodles and mixed it together. I added some grated cheese and placed a serving spoon in the bowl. Christian handed me a plate and I took my place at the end of the line. I was always the last to be served, but I didn't mind. 

Anna and Lani had waited for me at the end of the line. I dished out Lani's serving as well as Anna's and then my own. I barely had enough to fill me, but that would be fine. I wasn't that hungry anyways. 

Two hours later I realized I was wrong. It wasn't near enough to fill me. I watched as my friend devoured their servings. I tried to make mine last as long as I could. But with only about a table spoon sized serving, it could only go so far. 

When the company was finished I took up the plates and hand washed them as everyone sat down to watch a movie; 'Abbott and Costello's the trip to Africa.'  Anna helped me wash the dishes which made the work more enjoyable and faster. When all the plates and cups and silver ware were put away in their proper places I peeked outside and noticed the sun was well down. I offered to take Anna home and she accepted. I didn't bother telling the others I was going. We just grabbed our jackets and left.